Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1

Default Broken - hedge

I'll Hedge my bets, thirds should be missing.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:40 PM   #2

Wow, why even test this one. You have broken the mold as far as I can see, Peter. You take my eye and thrust it so far back with those lines that the rule of thirds doesn't have a hope! The force of your perspective lines takes any hope for any center of focus or interest and "demands" that it fall back, way back, back to where the points merge. Again, wow!

Cool stuff
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 7:51 AM   #3

Default "rules"

Peter:

Nice shot. You may have broken the rule of thirds but the image has a strong diagonal element to it and good perspective. If one draws the "golden thirds" on the image, my eyes seem to focus on the the upper left intersection. You are excused from detention hall.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 2:26 PM   #4

I'm not sure--I'd have to do a tad of measuring and some arithmetic--but it looks like you might have ended up with the proportions of the Golden Section. But I'm not going to do the math. :evil:

I'm not sure if it works or not. I just don't know. My eyes sail down the road, looking for something, but it's not there.

I'm really interested in your own analysis of this picture, Peter. Would you be willing to give an opinion of your own photo?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 8:21 PM   #5

I am not allowed to have an opinion.

I just tried to use a bit of forced perspective while avoiding the thirds Then I wandered by this hedge with every line going in the same direction.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 8:40 AM   #6

Quote:
I am not allowed to have an opinion.
Ah, so you're married?
(I can say this because I'm a woman.)

You definitely defied the Rule of Thirds, but that rule is based on the Golden Mean (Section, Ratio, and maybe even the Bermuda Triangle), and I thought I noticed those approximate proportions in the relationships between snow, hedge, and trees. Looking at it again, I've decided those aren't the proportions I'm seeing, but gosh darn it, I'm sure seeing some sort of balanced proportion. That's why I asked if you'd analyze your own photo. Even a mystical analysis would serve. 8)
Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:59 AM   #7

Yes, hum it's obvious?
Maybe worst part is wife is a pro artist, so somehow I am always wrong.

I'm seeing a lot of half's.
At start the trees/hedge take a half the image up the side and the snow/road take the other half along the bottom. Then both run to a point where the road curves that is just above the middle of the image.

:? I'm finding it a tough to come up with any rules, except that a lot of lines all converging on one point will fling the eye out in that direction.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:17 AM   #8

You're right, it's the pathway you created and that I'm seeing, which isn't a rule any more than other so-called rules. It's a device that works to lead the eye from one spot to another. For whatever reason, I was looking all over the place for anything and everything except for that path. Must need more sleep.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 2:13 PM   #9

Hey PeterP...

Nice visual tease with your composition...camera obscura englanda?

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:15 PM   #10

Well, I think you have done it, PeterP. If there is any relationship between your composition and the rule of thirds, it is not obvious. What is obvious in this photograph is the power of a diagonal compostion. They eye just cannot resist following those ldiagonal lines. Since the eye goes there relentlessly, I think the image would be strengthened if there was a walker/skier/whatever in bright clothing at the focal point of the diagonals. Whatever the composition, I can hear my footsteps crunch on snow when I look at your photograph. And me a Californian.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote