Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:52 PM   #1

Default Broken Picture

A duck, smack in the center of the picture!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2004, 12:12 AM   #2

It is definitely centered
It forms a nice oval on a diagonal yet, which falls into the circle set of comp rules.

EDIT: Circles, diagonals, and I can make out an S curve formed in the bird as well. You've used at least 3 compositonal tools to make this image.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 12:14 AM   #3

I think you've broken every rule of thirds invented and also proven that by breaking it you don't necessarily come out with something illegitimate or unworthy. That little shadow you created below is so cool. And the dynamic of white on black certainly isn't lost in this one. I long to see more of the bird's face though. That's my only complaint on this one.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 1:13 AM   #4

The duck may be smack in the middle but the reflection isn't. Nifty picture.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 7:43 AM   #5

Default Ditto

I ditto Peter's comments - nice work.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 12:50 PM   #6

The reflection is the saving grace and adds weight to the bottom of the picture. It gives the eye somewhere to go after concentrating on the subject.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 2:35 PM   #7

I agree somewhat with what everyone has said, particularly with Peter. Though rules of composition can be detected in it, I think it could be made better with a bit of cropping on the right and then an addition of head room at the top. I haven't actually tried it on your photo, but you might give it a try yourself to see how it looks. This is a photo well worth the trouble of creating different variations to see what works best.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 8:44 PM   #8

Heehee, If you crop the right and add head room the bird will slowly descend towards an intersection we are trying to avoid
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:23 PM   #9

Thanks for all the praise everybody!
I took this picture in sunlight actually, with my camera in partial metering mode. That is why the surrounding is very dark. The bird is actually sitting in water, and if you look closely, you can see ripples surrounding it. The shadow beneath the duck is its reflection. The only Photoshop work I did on this picture was unsharp mask at 100%, and color corrected for too much yellow.
PeterP: Shhhhh! I dont know what other composition rules you might be talking about! I broke them dangit!
Normcar: I waited for 20 minutes for that duck to pull its head off its back, but it just wouldnt! lol.
Bcoultry: That is actually the entire picture. I haven't cropped it at all, and I dont entirely trust myself to be able to seamlessly add more really dark water, especially to match the ripples. Besides, like PeterP said, we are avoiding the rule of thirds intersections here!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:35 PM   #10

As a tribute to animals in water which happen to be smack in the center of the picture. Actually my wife took this one but I feel it is appropriate to tag along to your thread. Hope you don't mind.

Title:
Hmmm, I know there was a duck around here somewhere.

PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote