Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 1, 2004, 1:05 PM   #1

Default Is This Broken?

Ok I am new to this fourm and to digital photos or taking any kind of pictures. This photo is from a wedding I was at, back in January. This I took before I new about the thirds rule. How did I do? They are not looking at me because there was a hired guy to take their photos. I was just her cousin playing with his new S5000.

Please tear it apart! This will help me take better pictures!
Also I see most of the other photos on here are a little bigget than mine. What size do you save them at and how big are the files?
Thank you!
Todd

Todd Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2004, 1:59 PM   #2

(Check "Guidelines" at the top for sizing.)

Welcome aboard!

Okay, let's see. You broke only half the Rule of Thirds since the couple is standing where one of the vertical lines would be drawn to create a third. It's in the horizontal division of thirds that you're off. All you would have needed to do is put a little more room at the top, and you'd have been right on the button.

All this business of thirds is really just a guideline for composition. Here, however, is something I consider a true rule: don't let the background make it appear that something is growing directly out of your subject. In your photo, there's a pillar sprouting from the bride's and groom's shoulders. We can all get so wrapped up in the subject of our photo that we don't even notice the background. I did it a couple of months ago, taking about 10 photos of my son, all of them with a Christmas tree bursting out the top of his head.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 2:41 PM   #3

As for the pole between them, I never even thought of that. The whole left of me was taken up by a tree and the pro was on the other side of the tree and I didnt want to interfear with him so I tried to stay away from him and do the best I could. Thanks for your coments!
Todd
Todd Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 2:49 PM   #4

Todd, we all get into those situations where there's just no place for us to go but where we are. Next time, bring a slingshot, wing one at the photographer's leg, and then leap in to take your pictures before he recovers. :twisted:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote