Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:30 PM   #1

Default Holiday Memories - Digital

Cell phones have become a popular way to record one's life. I saw quite a few people using these "arms" for selfies today.

There were a few with cameras but most people used cell phones or tablets. I still can't quite get used to people carrying larger tablets around, using them as cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:03 AM   #2

I think my kids called this a "selfie stick". The few "selfies" I have taken were a miserable failure. Maybe I need one of these?
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:20 PM   #3

These seemed to be very popular, I saw quite a few of them yesterday. But when I was reviewing my crowd pictures, I captured more compact cameras being used than phones.

I've never been much for selfies, especially at places where the crowd is so packed that you can barely move.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:58 AM   #4

I can recall trying to take selfie in my youth but the instant reward associated with the digital version was not there so it was never on my list of things to do regularly.
The narcissism factor is also another reason I am not enthralled with it.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:09 AM   #5

After the father is dead and buried, the offspring will go through pics noticing that dad is not in any of them. He took them all. While it might be nice to be in dad's head for 1/125 sec at a time, its also nice to have a few pics of dad himself. And a selfie will do that for you. With the advent of small lightweight cameras and these little telescopic rods that hold them this is now possible and practical. I dont think narcissism has anything to do with it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:35 PM   #6

An interesting point. My sister is always complaining that she never sees pictures of me. I don't really want pictures of myself, but she does. Maybe I should take a few for her. One of her favorite pictures is one I took of her in Yosemite, with the valley spread beside/behind her.

Dan hated having his picture taken and I honored his wishes. I wish I hadn't, I had very few pictures of him. If the tables were turned he wouldn't have any pictures of me, and I know he would have been very disappointed, perhaps even more disappointed than I was. Never thought of it that way, a thought to ponder.