Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 3, 2004, 8:01 AM   #1

Default Breaking Things - a conclusion

Here's the most important thing we probably got out of last week's challenge: photographic rules are manmade, not sent down from God. Our decisions about composition are ruled only by our intent, by the idea we're trying to convey.

If we were to apply the rule of thirds to every last one of our photos, everyone (including our own selves) would grow bored with our work.

Klaus remarked early in the week that there are no rules. He didn't mean that composition doesn't count. It most certainly does. If your composition inspires looks of disgust or, worse, yawns, then it has failed.

There is no single formula or rule that governs good composition. There are, however, "devices" such as thirds or paths or angles pointing at the subject. Once we've learned to understand and to use these devices, we can then go on to bending the so-called rules or breaking them utterly.

Important: If we're going to break a rule, we ought to know why we're breaking it.

I may be the one coming up with challenge ideas, but believe me when I say they're challenging me at least as much as you--probably more. I learned a huge amount this past week, and I have all of you to thank for this.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2004, 9:52 AM   #2

A fine conclusion, Barbara. Thanks for being our guide on these interesting journies - I'm looking forward to the next one!
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 4:13 PM   #3

Default learned alot too...

Before this challenge I didn't even know there were rules to be broken. Maybe that helpen in me being able to break 'em. thanks and I can't wait to see the next one
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 4:44 PM   #4

[/quote] I can't wait to see the next one
Quote:
It's already up and running. Look at the top for "Evidence."

I think the last challenge was good for all of us.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 5:07 PM   #5

Default Thanks

Barbara:

Thanks for starting this discussion forum. I am enjoying it and look forward to reading the posts when I come home.

Thanks Again,

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 5:40 PM   #6

You're entirely welcome. I'm having a ball doing it. It keeps my mind off of and out of trouble.