Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:15 AM   #1

Default Evidence - The Rag

Enjoy,

Rod

Quote:
The camera captures the image, the photographer makes the image.
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:38 AM   #2

the light has a nice, soft appearance to it, how did you do that? what was your setup?
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:15 PM   #3

Beautiful, Rod.

Quote:
how did you do that?
Rod will have to tell you his specific methods, but one of the old-time methods involved destroying a filter by smearing it with Vaseline. :shock: These days, it can be accomplished in Photoshop (can't remember the name of the particular filter) or with a plug-in, one of which is in a collection by Extensis called Dreamy Photo. It used to be free for the downloading, but I don't know if it still is.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:30 PM   #4

Default Photoshop Technique

Quote:
the light has a nice, soft appearance to it, how did you do that? what was your setup?
The technique of using a guassian blur layer is covered in a tutorial at www.Luminous-landscape.com. It is an interesting technique and turned a bland image into what you see.

Briefly in Photoshop 6.0 or higher,

I create a duplicate layer in the layers palette, named gaussian blur, then the new layer is lightened with a levels layer. After the image is lightened, a gaussian blur is applied >Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur. The mode for the gaussian blur layer is set to multiply and the opacity of the gaussian blur layer is adjusted. Next, the background layer is highlighted and a curves layer applied. Click OK on the curves layer without changing it, then move the curves layer to the top of the layers stack, now adjust the gamma curve. To include a name or copyright information, a new layer is created, moved to the top of the layers stack and the name applied.

Some may say "that's cheating" but my brother, who is a successful professional artist, told me, "The final piece is important, not how you got there." There is, in my opinion, no diffenerce between the techniques applied in the darkroom and the lightroom other than the techniques are easier to apply in Photoshop and more options are available to the photographer/artist.

What is the purpose of photography? The answers range from the scientific to the artistic. For me, I want to create images I like. It is that simple. Why I like the images I create, I do not know but the image must "feel right" before I call it "a wrap."

I am beginning to discuss my work the way my brother talks about art. "Feel right" is not technohead talk. Help, I am drifting to the left of left.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:35 PM   #5

Thank you for telling us how you did it, Rod. When I get done writing this, I'll be printing out your explanation.

Quote:
Help, I am drifting to the left of left.
Nah. You're beginning to relax, is all. 8)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:07 PM   #6

Rod, I agree with your brother - proof positive is the cheapie photo software I have that lets you click a button to slap a "gaussian blur" effect on any photo and it does NOTHING like what you have scientifically and meticulously done to transform your art. Excellent!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote