Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
It is Thanksgiving week, and the biggest shopping time of the year for most people here in the US, so participation is probably at about the lowest it will ever be right now. I'm just taking a couple minutes to do some catching up, myself.
Besides participation, the big issue seems to be feedback, or, rather, lack of feedback. As Rainrunner mentions, Facebook pages get more participation, and that is something to think about. Facebook makes it simpler to share links, and makes feedback easy with "like" buttons, so even if there aren't a lot of comments, there will be the 'likes' registered. (I don't do social networking either, so this is all just my impression of how it works) If there were a way to incorporate something along the lines of an up vote or 'like' for posts, would any of you feel more inclined to keep it going?
This is a great idea, and I totally see your point. There are a lot of people that like to view content, and clicking like is about all the effort they want to put into communicating that they like or appreciate said content. I've seen many times where a post on facebook with get a good number of likes, with little to no comments. We see this often with the PotD posts we share on our facebook page. We'll get 15+ likes on a photo, and maybe one comment. And, sometimes those posts will show more than 1000 people have been "reached". So, it's not just a forum thing, even social media sees a similar "issue" with high views and low participation.

While facebook groups are quite popular, I myself still prefer forums. Maybe that's because I've been a heavy forum user for the last 10 years or so.

Anyhow, like JimC said, if anyone has any ideas they'd like to share on moving forward, please let us know.

Cheers,

-billy
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:16 AM   #12

Billy or Jim
Can the poll function in the forum software be adapted for like/dislike/hate/love/etc? Something to consider.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Billy or Jim
Can the poll function in the forum software be adapted for like/dislike/hate/love/etc? Something to consider.

Cal
I've seen "like" options on other forums using different software. I'm not sure if vB has that functionality, but we'll look into it for sure.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:24 AM   #14

My take on the like button is its not enough. Who learns anything if they just say LIKE or nothing at all. While I use Facebook, I dont like it. This is a photo forum with everything here we photographers need.....reviews of latest cameras, gyzmos and gadgets, subjects to shoot that has something for everyone. After a while there are a few people that are considered friends, or not. For anyone trying to improve their skills its always beneficial to get some kind of constructive comment even if its totally destructive, in order to see through someone else's eyes. I know for myself, if someone has said something negative Ive gone and changed the image to suit them and to see whether or not I agree with them. In the end its all a matter of individual opinions. But without those opinions its not very helpful. And thats why comments are always appreciated. Not just a LIKE button.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
My take on the like button is its not enough. Who learns anything if they just say LIKE or nothing at all. While I use Facebook, I dont like it. This is a photo forum with everything here we photographers need.....reviews of latest cameras, gyzmos and gadgets, subjects to shoot that has something for everyone. After a while there are a few people that are considered friends, or not. For anyone trying to improve their skills its always beneficial to get some kind of constructive comment even if its totally destructive, in order to see through someone else's eyes. I know for myself, if someone has said something negative Ive gone and changed the image to suit them and to see whether or not I agree with them. In the end its all a matter of individual opinions. But without those opinions its not very helpful. And thats why comments are always appreciated. Not just a LIKE button.
I wholeheartedly agree Bynx.

But, it seems people are getting lazier, and the like button is just easier... ???
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:23 PM   #16

Most people seem to be in a rush these days, even if it is only to check their Facebook page and Twitter messages on their mobile. And typing on those little gadgets (my wife has a tablet, I don't) seems nearly impossible to me. I think that may be why the FB type interface works so well for them - a simple button to click isn't bad, but trying to type (and think of ) an actual comment while you are (supposed to be ) at work, or on a bus, etc. is more than most people are going to manage. Even being retired, I have sufficient demands on my time that spending it on one thing means taking it from something else.
Scrolling to the bottom of the main forum page, I often see that the number of guests viewing is 100 times or more the number of registered members, so having 200 or more views of a post, and only a couple comments, is proportionate. If the guests could have just a button to use to show they liked a photo, without having to register as members, it might help to show there is more appreciation for the work than it seems now.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:47 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Billy or Jim

Cal
The forum software already has a Thread Rating System built in and enabled.

Members can use the "Rate Thread" menu choice that is visible when viewing a thread here to vote.

You can click on 5 stars (Excellent), 4 stars (good), 3 stars (average), 2 stars (fair), or 1 star (terrible). The software uses those votes to determine the thread rating, and displays it in the list of threads when viewing a specific forum.

added:

More info here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fa...rating_threads

But, note that the forums software will average the votes to determine the overall thread rating, and you are unable to see the specific vote counts. I can set things like a minimum number of votes before a rating appears (currently there is no minimum set). But, there is not a lot of flexibility available.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:15 PM   #18

G'day all

From the great land Downunder may I also add my 'thank-you' to Cal + everyone else who has involvement here

I am one of the guilty ones recently for not coming here all that often - but 2015 has just been an extremely busy time for me, often putting in 14hr days with other things [I'm supposed to be retired]

My photo skills have declined along with my eyesight over the last 12-24 months, but it is my intention to come back and haunt you once the large project I am on is done and dusted

Please travel safely over the Christmas period -
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:36 PM   #19

I've been posting her for more than 10 years now, and have really enjoyed the community of people. We kinda get to know each other from what we choose to post and comment on.

Cal, Vanessa, Selvin, thanks.

Social media "likes" don't do it for me. I prefer more critique and learning from each other.
I do not have the time to take take being a moderator now, but I sure hope someone else does. Everything has ups and downs and change is the only constant in life.
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:42 AM   #20

I would like to add my thanks to. I post when I can but now I am retired I spend a lot of time traveling with limited internet access so find it hard to post. I have noticed that other forums also find it hard to keep people posting have we tried porting this site to tapatalk
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote