Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Default Important notice

Significant changes are coming.

Selvin and I are resigning as moderators effective November 30th. Vanessa (vsch1) resigned about two weeks ago due to family problems.

Selvin and I have been discussing this for the past two weeks (actually off and on for the past two years). Our interest in photography is waning. We both find that we are taking more pictures with our cell phones than with our digital cameras. At the same time participation in the forum has dwindled to just a handful of people.

I have been discussing this matter with Billy, one of the system administrators and two possibilities exist. One is to find someone else to manage the forum or shut the forum down. Even with new moderator(s) that doesn't address the issue of dwindling participation. Billy has suggested that if anyone is interested in stepping up to manage the forum, please send a private message to either billy or JimC.

I has been a great ride. I remember when Barbara Coultry started this forum as the Weekly Challenge. Participation was great and we had a lot of fun. Then Barbara left for reasons I don't recall. She turned the forum over to PhotosByVito. He ran the forum for awhile and then he had to resign because it was interfering with his college studies. He turned the forum over to me. We've had some good times and some bad ones. However, the current lack of interest makes it difficult to continue.

I am not going to post a formal new challenge this week. Instead, while Billy and JimC decide what to do, feel free to post any "family friendly" photos that you would like to share.

As I said, it has been a great ride. Have a great Holiday season.

Cal and Selvin

Last edited by calr; Nov 25, 2015 at 9:23 PM.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:27 PM   #2

It's a sad situation. Like many others, I post in the expectation that I would receive comments -- good, bad or otherwise. I take the time to post quality (for me) shots, yet fewer than 5 percent (of views) draw any comments. It's pretty much the same situation on most of the other forums where the average post results in 2 to 5 percent responses. Perhaps its just a sign of a changing culture among photographers who just want to look but not share an impression or word of encouragement. There are other photo web sites where the response is better and, thus, more worthwhile to submit photos. I appreciate the time and effort on the part of our forum moderators. Thank you!
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:00 PM   #3

This explains JimC not knowing how to respond to your message. I figured as much and am not surprised. But it is long in coming. Participation is pretty low. While viewing is not bad, responses are pitiful at best. I have made numerous comments over the last couple years as such and it hasnt changed. This is like the end of an era. Sorry to see you go Cal. We have had our differences over the years but you certainly have my respect. And, of course, the same goes for Selvin and Vanessa. Im with Walter in having the same expectations. Working hard to create an image, then posting it and having 150 people see it and say nothing is disheartening. I think that with your departure the future of this site will be in question. Hopefully, that will not be the case, but the future doesnt look too bright. How does one gain viewership and new members? There is a pretty good collection of talented photographers and photoshop artists here that will probably be gone. A sad day indeed. But I wish you all well in the days ahead. You all have my email address and Id like to hear from you in the future. Safe journeys.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:05 PM   #4

I have seen where starting up a group facebook page gets a lot more participation that the forums. Maybe that is something that could happen.
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrunner View Post
I have seen where starting up a group facebook page gets a lot more participation that the forums. Maybe that is something that could happen.
That doesn't help people such as myself who refuse to participate on social networks.

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:11 PM   #6

I just dont get it. We have all we need right here except participation and interaction between its members. It seems there are only about 10 people who actually submit images and far less than that, that actually comments on them. Pretty discouraging. But the bi-weekly contest was a good place to submit and gives a reason to submit images that fit a fixed category. If I had images without going too far back in time that were suitable it was fun to submit. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens now. I didnt say it in my last post, but Im saying it now. Thank you Cal, Vanessa and Selvin. Its been a hoot.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:52 PM   #7

I want to thank you all for the time you spent managing the shoot out, not to mention all of the wonderful photos everyone shared.

I too wish we had more participation. We will be brainstorming to see what we can do to get more people involved.

Again, thank you Cal, Selvin, Bynx, and all those who have participated over the years. It was a good run, that's for sure.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Blessings,

-billy
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Administrator

Yes... I hate to see you guys stop managing the challenges, as they've been a bright spot here for a long time.

Calr, Selvin, vsch1 and others have spent many hours devoted to them, and we all appreciate that effort and dedication.

Of course, you can change your mind. ;-)

I'd hope that others interesting in continuing this process will step forward and try to fill in, even if the challenges are modified so that not as much moderations is required to keep them going, with participants making suggestions for new challenges.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let us know via PM.

Thanks to everyone for participating.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:23 PM   #9

And there we have it. This post by Cal has been up for almost a day and a half now and its been seen by 181 so far. I know some of that number are bots and guests, but Im betting some are members who look and say nothing. And so the ship sinks slowing into the depths with nary a ripple.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:01 PM   #10

It is Thanksgiving week, and the biggest shopping time of the year for most people here in the US, so participation is probably at about the lowest it will ever be right now. I'm just taking a couple minutes to do some catching up, myself.
Besides participation, the big issue seems to be feedback, or, rather, lack of feedback. As Rainrunner mentions, Facebook pages get more participation, and that is something to think about. Facebook makes it simpler to share links, and makes feedback easy with "like" buttons, so even if there aren't a lot of comments, there will be the 'likes' registered. (I don't do social networking either, so this is all just my impression of how it works) If there were a way to incorporate something along the lines of an up vote or 'like' for posts, would any of you feel more inclined to keep it going?
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote