Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

View Poll Results: Do you like this one?
Love 1 25.00%
Like 3 75.00%
Dislike 0 0%
Hate 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:04 AM   #1

Default This is another poll test

Testing another poll

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Testing another poll
Cal do you think that the categories of Love to Hate is enough. Its the why I am after. If someone likes an image why dont they love it. Why dont they hate it. There is so little said in a one word button pushed answer.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:51 AM   #3

I'm not saying it has to be this way. I was just experimenting with functions available in the forum software. I think there is a star rating function available also.

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:24 PM   #4

We have all we need right here. You just dont have any people that want to use it. It wasnt always like that. I really want to be a good photographer. How can I improve if I cant see what Im doing wrong. And thats best seen by others who see what you have done. Saying Like or Dont Like just doesnt help much.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:54 PM   #5

Perhaps add a middle category for neutral or something similar.
I think those are good choices which make clear that it isn't a rating such as good/bad, but rather a completely subjective opinion.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:01 PM   #6

VTphotog, you miss the point entirely. If people cant do any better than a one word comment or a single push of a button then they should just not bother at all. No one is looking for a rating, but from someone else's eyes Id like to know if its good or bad. But that has to be followed up with an explanation. How the hell are we supposed to learn if we arent told anything. Can you imagine being in school and the teacher only spoke in one word sentences, never explained anything and expected everyone to understand what they meant? The problem we have here is apathy. I'd like to know who the 150 people are who view an image and never say a thing. How many are bots. How many are guests who perhaps cant leave a comment. But how many are members who are just too lazy to type a few words. I think the first people who view an image has a responsibility of leaving a comment. After that others can follow who might disagree. A bunch of repetitive comments are'nt necessary. But how do you stop people from leaving it up to the next guy to say something? Is time really that precious that they dont have 2 minutes to comment on an image which could have taken a long time to create. Like the images of WalterC's OOBs which I know takes some time. Many times not a word. Very disheartening when that happens. Id like to have my pics picked at so I keep getting better and better. I feel like Ive stagnated over the last 4 or 5 years and no progress being made. Comments help everyone. Both the original shooter/photoshopper and others who view the comments. They can agree or not but they too get to see something from anothers point of view.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:49 AM   #7

There is the 'Critiques' forum for getting the kind of feedback you are looking for. It has developed that in many of the other photo posting forums here, that a lot of people don't want to hear anything other than "great shot, you're a wizard with a camera." I have certainly been taken to task for critiquing some people's work, and from some who say that C&C are welcome.
It certainly takes more than a couple minutes to form an opinion and cast it into something that doesn't sound offensive. Then, you find that someone has taken offense anyway. Just not worth the time and aggravation.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:42 AM   #8

Ya with that Im in full agreement with you VTphotog. We all arent on the same page. But a comment should be permitted for any photo anywhere, regardless whether its the Comments forum or not. If you dont want to hear comments then dont post the image. If you dont want to improve and feel like you are as good as you can be then why bother with a photo site at all? You should be in a gallery selling your images to the huge lineup of people who want nothing more than your great images. Well we shall see how the dust settles after Cal and Selvin retire by Monday. Its the only part of the site that has had constant postings. The rest are so sporadic there are last posts that are really old.