Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:55 AM   #1

Default Mauna Kea, HI

Got to shoot Mauna Kea at night a few weeks ago. Fell on my camera the next day - Cam now at Nikon Hospital in Los Angeles.
Attached Images

paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:25 AM   #2

Some day Im going to do astrophotography. Is that the moon or a really bright star? Would shooting this as HDR be better? One shot like this and one shot for the moon.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:50 AM   #3

That is the moon. HDR would be difficult as shutter was open for about 20-30 seconds. Was also difficult as altitude (14,000 ft+) kept me from thinking straight - even got dizzy when I bent down to change lens).
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:02 PM   #4

I know very little about astrophotography. To prevent star trails isnt it better to shoot a bunch of 10 second shots and then put them together in layers in Photoshop. Also after taking your 20-30 second shot here a quick 5 second shot would do for the moon. Im always trying to pick up stuff about the subject for when I ever get around to do it. Actually when the clouds are gone is more like it. Toronto area is not the best place for shooting up.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:59 PM   #5

I am quite new to astro also but there is a "rule" of 500 (500 divided by focal length for shutter speed) as a limit to prevent star trails. As to layers with 10 sec shots, this may work but I have not gone beyond single shot pics. Hawaii is not ideal for astro work except on top of tall mountains (Mauna Kea and Haleakala) where they are littered with large US and international telescopes.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:51 AM   #6

Paniolo,
Given current conditions this is pretty remarkable. I can fully appreciate the difficulties working at high altitudes. Were you a part of the frenzied scene atop Mauna Kea?
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:03 AM   #7

Selvin,
It was quiet when we were there - no thirty meter telescope protesters, but was cold (by our standards - 40 deg F). We achieved our goals - shot volcano, pueo, and Mauna Kea! BTW, if you are in the vicinity of the Canon office/gallery (Ward Center, corner of Ward and Ala Moana Blvd), some of our group have our prints on display for the month of December - please stop by!

Last edited by paniolo; Dec 4, 2015 at 3:05 AM. Reason: add name