Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:54 PM   #11

The lower camera angle in the last shot helps a lot. Neat curl of smoke. Notice how it stands out from the bit of dark background, but kind of gets lost where the background is lighter? Very original concept - worth another go with a darker background.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:39 AM   #12

I've got to let this one go for a little. I spent another hour or so this morning and it just gets worse. I used a tripod, set the timer, increased the ISO to 600 and the lighting isn't as good but the clarity is no better. Also, I could not get a good smoke trail. Two books of matches later I decided this might be best shelved for another day, when I am fresh. I will definately post once I get it right using all your help and suggestions. Thanks very much!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:48 PM   #13

I tried the darker background... ISO1600, sharpened a bit in software...focused on the wick instead of the wax blob... sped up the shutter speed by using more natural light... increased the depth of field... still no go. I admit defeat on this one. That's OK - it was very stimulating, and necessary to learn some things and be reminded of others.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:15 PM   #14

You may consider this a failure, but I sure don't. Scroll back up to the top and look at each photo in turn. This last try is the best by far. The dark background works better, you have more definition, your focus is better, the smoke may be slightly blurred but that's just fine, and your composition has improved.

If this were a game in which people won and lost, you sure would have come out a big winner. You tried and tried again, learning things that will stay with you as you go on to photograph other scenes.

My hat's off to you!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 3:55 PM   #15

I agree with Barbara - dogged persistence brings rewards that may be hidden in the weariness with the whole thing, but that are revealed when you look back to where you started from.

Now if I could just have the same success getting some drawers I am building to fit the way they are supposed to.

Oh - but now I see you have lost that afterglow of the wick - maybe just one more try . . .
Old Mar 8, 2004, 6:48 AM   #16

LOL - no, that's it! The last one utilized SS's graduation gown left behind (we're still packing some of his stuff up) and DH is afraid I'm going to burn something down (I have bad luck with fire). I promised him no more!
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:43 AM   #17

Well, ok. Perhaps fine art does need to stop short of burning the house down. The gown does make a great background and great symbolism with the candle: poof - gone. But based on my experience (seven children, all grown and gone - I think) best not to plan on his room as your den just yet!
Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:05 AM   #18

Quote:
best not to plan on his room as your den just yet!
Amen!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:08 AM   #19

LOL - him at 25, me (35) packing his lunches and doing his dishes (being married to his dad only since summer 2003), him paying no rent or doing chores, and him grocery shopping from my pantry when he left - his dad is using his room as a music room!!! 8 months was enough of being caught in the middle of THAT! DH told him there would be NO coming back, except very welcome visits - for him, not his dirty laundry. And I have NOOOO complaints! (it's weird, because we both laid down house rules and tried to enforce them and he was raised to be responsible and courteous. I guess kids are funny that way - personalities of their own!)