Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:19 PM   #11

yayyyyyyy!!!!!

now that i know it, i can taunt the rest of you

make some more of those, they are fun

thanks
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:29 PM   #12

Thanks for playing brad.

Anyone who thinks they have the answer feel free to PM either brad, myself, or noah to see if they are on the right track.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:36 AM   #13

Seat of shot WB bike new for...

For new bike WB shot of seat.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 4:41 AM   #14

Thanks Suzan, now I can fully spill the beans.

First photo is a shallow DOF of my "old" bike's seat mount. The other photos are my struggle to get a proper white balance of the seat mounted on my newer bike. My final shot is an accurate WB "with flash"

The thing that surprises me the most is how difficult it was, once the riddle was solved, for posters to actually post the message properly. The sceond (freudian slip) most surprising thing was that anyone responded in the first place. Thanks for humoring me you guyz, and galz.

Proper answer:

WB SHOT OF SEAT FOR NEW BIKE
Old Mar 7, 2004, 4:56 AM   #15

ok now that the cat's outta the bag, I've been wondering.... what are those two empty boxes? are they just there for symetry or possibly as a clue, ie: represenative of cards for white balance?
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 5:08 AM   #16

One "empty box" was setting WB without flash and the other was setting it "with" flash.

Good question!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:31 AM   #17

No offense meant here, but you do realize, I hope, that this was actually off-topic. There's that old saying about a picture being worth a thousand words. If the photo needs a lot of words and a lot of work to be understood, has it succeeded? I know this challenge somehow got off track. At some point, the idea of evidence was misunderstood as being connected to police detective work. It wasn't. The challenge was to bring life into a photo where, otherwise, there might have been none.

Could you try again?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:22 PM   #18

Barbara...

Sorry for misinterpreting your goals. I respect your efforts and wish you well. I was hoping that some of the experts would comment on the bokeh and the DOF, as well as the technical thing related to white balance, but of course I was wishful thinking.

Could I try again?

yes! Just watch, I'd love to try again! Thanks for giving me the opportunity But it may take a day, month or year. However, I "will" respond.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:00 PM   #19

I'm sure you meant no harm, and certainly no harm was done. After all, folks got a kick out of the mystery. I just didn't want anyone to get led astray, thinking the challenge was to create a mystery. Perhaps you can post your results and any questions in the General Q & A forum, particularly since the comments you're looking for might be had from people not involved in the challenge forum.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:03 PM   #20

I just have a few questions about your motives that I didn't have before is all. Thanks for the input. I will certainly continue to post here because it is an excellent idea.

Barbara rules, and she takes critiques very well indeed