Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:17 AM   #1

Default Evidence. . . Coloma bedrock mortars

I drove about 12 miles down the hill from where I live this morning to where these bedrock mortars lie on the edge of a meadow within sound of the American River. They are also just a short walk from Sutter's Mill, where the discovery of gold rang down the final curtain on the world of the ancient Nisenan people, who made them. I bring my grandchildren here, and in the quiet morning we close our eyes and listen for the movement of the pestels in the rustling of leaves, and women's soft voices in the murmer of the river.

toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2004, 5:46 AM   #2

Excellent, and nice decision to use a huge DOF in this one.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:42 AM   #3

What lovely imagery - and lovely image! I love the contrast between smooth, gray, soft and round against the stark vibrant green with abrupt lines. Time of day was perfect - lighting looks great!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:55 AM   #4

The longer I looked at this photo, the more technique I found. The narrow band of trees at the top seems to push down, bringing the eye back to the rock from which that eye was originally sent upward because of the angled lines and, in particular, the arrow shape. And that arrow shape, in itself, is symbolic.

Sometimes a photo needs a small amount of description just to let the viewers know what they're looking at, but once they do, the photo takes over, speaking at great length.

Thank you for a wonderful picture.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 9:11 AM   #5

Thanks folks, for your kind comments. As you can tell from my "exposition", I have strong feelings about this place - of course that helps hugely when you photograph. Once my head had latched on to an approach to this challenge, I was eager to go, and 7 AM found me down there basically in my pajamas, with a steaming cup of coffee, happily clambering around on the rocks trying different angles. It was one of those times when hours fly by in seeming minutes. Ultimately, though, it's the interaction of all of us in this forum that impels us to stretch our photographic legs.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote