Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:28 PM   #1

Default Evidence Tagged

Enjoy,

Rod

Quote:
The camera captures the image, the photographer makes the image.
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 6:01 PM   #2

Rod, I love the photo, love the shapes and the composition and the fact that it's b&w. The only thing that's bothering me--and this could be because I'm a girl --is that I don't know what, exactly, I'm looking at. What is it, and why is it sporting a tag?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 6:07 PM   #3

Rod....you are the king of B/W!!
great job again!

(bcoultry) i think this is a valve of some sort.....wat it does is another story......well it controls the flow of the fluid inside.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:07 PM   #4

Valve is my guess, also. Tag for an inspection date or installation date?
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:11 PM   #5

DH, sanitary engineer, says it looks to be a ductile or cast iron flanged joint gate valve with hand wheel operator for water system. Tag could be mfg identifier tag or inspection tag?
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey143
...says it looks to be a ductile or cast iron flanged joint gate valve with hand wheel operator for water system.
Now I'm even more confused. Do you suppose we could call it a magical thing? It could sit next to electricity.

Rod? You out there?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:38 PM   #7

Default Valves, Barges and Tankerman

All the guesses are correct. The valves is on the discharge side of a centrifugal pump located inside the pump engine room of a barge. The barge is old and the stripper pump that is associated with the barge does not work. The image "Evidence - Rag" was also taken in the pump engine room of the same barge. The pump and power train in that photo show the main centrifugal pump.

Barbara, unless one has worked with this type of equipment, it would be difficult to understand what it is. This understanding is not gender specific. I wished I had your artistic talent - words and images are always synergistic. Lenora and I visited your site one evening and very much enjoyed your artwork - thank you.

As to my efforts at B&W "printmaking" I still have much too learn. The image lacks any detail where the valve stem enters the valve body. I will just have to have another try at capturing a good image. The next time, I will use a tripod.

Kind Regards,

rod
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:14 PM   #8

Rod, this image is nice and tight and has beautiful tones. I love this kind of stuff. Maybe Barbara will give us an industrial shapes assignment.

Yes, the detail is gone in that shadow area, but that is way better than blowing the highlights or having the contrast too low.

The solution to your problem is to even out the lighting just a bit. There are two ways to do this. Method one would make use of fill-in flash, if your system allows you to turn down the flash to ambient light ratio. What you want is just a smidge of light from the flash - enough to open the shadows a bit, but not make it look like a flash photograph.

The other method would be to reflect some light into the shadow area you are concerned about. It is surprising what a simple reflector, such as a sheet of newspaper, or a white towel, can do. The niftiest, of course, are those springy ones you can buy at the camera store, that start out as a 6 to 8-inch disc, and pop open to a two-sided 18-inch diameter reflector, with gold on one side and silver or white on the other. Like those automobile windshield sun shades (that, God willing, we will need again soon) that pop open so nicely then collapse back down with a simple flick of the wrist to the left - or is it right - dang, I'll just fling it in the back seat.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:26 PM   #9

Default Fill-in flash

Tony:

Good suggestion about the fill-in flash. I work on this barge as a part-time tankerman, hence do not have time to setup a reflector. The fill-in flash would be quick - thanks. Hum, I may have to look into the instant reflector you discussed - cool.

rod

P.S. The use of "cool" defines an older guy trying to be current.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:03 PM   #10

Yet another outstanding photo. Awesome work.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote