Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:27 PM   #1

Default Color-Blind: Time in a Mirror

Starting with this...

...then converting to LAB, choosing the Lightness channel and tweaking the contrast using Levels, I ended up with this...

It isn't what I'd planned for the B&W challenge. I'd been playing with mirrors today, trying to get a picture of infinity 8) , but when I looked at this one, I thought, "Maybe, just maybe it'll work."
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:37 PM   #2

I bow in your prescence O' Grand Poobah. I like the composition and the effect of the wood against all the smooth surfaces.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:59 PM   #3

Default Teacher

Barbara:

You are a teacher - a rare gift.

I will have to experiment in lab mode - a thousand ways to dot the "I".

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:08 AM   #4

Being the moderator is my only claim to Grand Poobahedness. ops: If we all look at what and how we choose, we're not showing our complete failures. Yesterday, for instance, I took about 40 photos of which only one succeeded, but it didn't succeed in color. To my eye, the b&w rendition was the better of the two. Basically, I rescued a very borderline picture.

Rod, if you haven't yet, take a look at the links at the end of the challenge description. I can't remember for the life of me whether or not there's one that describes the LAB method, but there might be.

Another method (Photoshop only) is "Calculations" found in the Image menu. Definitely worth playing with. You can choose two channels to blend, choose the blending method (Multiply, Overlay, etc.), and the percentage of opacity.

The truth is, in two seperate iterations of myself, I was a teacher, but it was with little people. I was fairly decent at imparting knowledge but I was an idiot when it came to discipline. Little boys in particular can design the most glorious pieces of mischief. How could I discipline them when I was grinning at them?
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:30 AM   #5

Default Reading Material

Barbara:

I just downloaded all the links you mentioned - tonight's reading.
After viewing several of the images at the above links, I have decided being a grasshopper is too high an elevation, therefore I have become the lilly pad that floats in the great void of nothing.

Noise and Blue Channel:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...g/Noise_01.htm

In summary, noise is a function of the sensor and processor. Noise is also a function of temperature. In addition, the image sensor is not very sensitive in the blue region of the spectrum. To compensate, the blue channel signal is amplified. Subsequently, noise in the blue channel is also amplified.

Noise can be reduced by immersing the camera in a bath of liquid nitrogen. The only negatives to this approach are 1) one has to work fast to avoid freezing and 2) lugging a 40 liter Dewar flask of liquid nitrogen around - time to go back to the 4X5 view camera, tripod, sheet film holders, etc. etc.

Thanks for being a good teacher and assigning homework .

Your Student,

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:55 AM   #6

Bcoultry...I like it!

This is why:

There is a wonderful seamlessness between object and its mirror
image.

This viewer did a double take as at first glance 'both clocks" appeared to one seamless object.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:36 PM   #7

Rod, go back to being a grasshopper. All the rest of us grasshoppers don't feel like sitting on you. And liquid nitrogen...what a cure for the blues!

Quote:
'both clocks" appeared to be one seamless object
I cheated. 8)
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:37 PM   #8

hmm wat i can't see is where the mirror is.....lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 1:22 PM   #9

Quote:
wat i can't see is where the mirror is
Well, I'm sure you know where it must be, but just in case you're curious, I tipped a chair onto the mirror so the seat of the chair was reflected in the mirror, placed the clock so it was sitting on the reflected seat, placed mat board behind the seat of the chair to block vision of the door that was on the back wall, then drove myself crazy trying to get the depth of field I wanted. Oh, and the camera was nestled into a beanbag after discovering several days before that thick carpeting does NOT stop camera shake.

The cheat part: cloned out most of the line between the clock and its reflection. Also added blur to the mat board and the mirror frame.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:55 PM   #10

That's really nice, Barbara. My first thought was the same as digcamfan's, on it being seemless and looking like one clock. What really stands out to me is how great that woodgrain looks in b&w.
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote