Unusual spring flower.

Converted to grayscale
Adjusted curves
Must have taken a wrong turn
Blah :!:

Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:50 AM   #2

Neat texture and definite center of interest but it seems like something's missing?
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 7:37 AM   #3

Default Color vs grayscale

I like the color version, perhaps there is not enough tonal range to convert to B&W. Regardless, neat image and theme.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:51 AM   #4

Maybe you think you took a wrong turn, Jack, but I don't. You set up a tremendous test shot for all of us to study so we can see the light (ahem...) behind color. The most striking thing is what happened to the yellow, which has, in places, close to the same intensity of color as the others. Bet I speak for everyone here when I say thank you!

By the way, what the devil are those things?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
By the way, what the devil are those things?
Why, it's a "spring flower"
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:16 AM   #6

Barbara, those things are die springs. Die's being basically molds, which go in presses. But, instead of molding plastic, they mold steel. A die has two halves, and is put into a press. When the press is raised, the top half of the die is raised with it. The bottom half of the die remains on the bed of the press. You lay a flat piece of sheet metal on the bottom half of the die, then when the press comes down, bringing the top die with it, with tremendous pressure, the sheet metal is closed up in the die, and is formed, punched, pierced, or trimmed, to make a part. The dies of course have various cutting blocks, form blocks, or punches, depending on the part being made. So, Barbara, most anything you have or see that has thin metal parts, those parts were formed in a die in a press. These springs go into those type of dies, but they are just one of many types of parts that can be in a die. Oh, I need to be clear that these springs make up part of the die, and are not the parts that was created in the die.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:05 PM   #7

wow really? i kinda thought the were toys......very clean for metal pieces! they must be new!

nice idea
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:25 PM   #8

Yes, Vito, they are new. My job is to maintain dies where I work. These springs are among the many new parts that we use, when replacing broken or worn parts in a die. The different colors represent the strength of the spring, blue being the weakest, and yellow being the strongest. The small blue springs you see here are the only ones that you can slightly compress with your hands. The others are just too strong, and require a machine to compress.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:28 PM   #9

that's pretty cool

would the big yellow one be more powerful than the smaller yellow one? (well thinner but longer)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:37 PM   #10

Hmmmmm, not real sure I can answer that one, Vito. Normally the larger the diameter the spring, the stronger it is, but even more importantly is the thickness of the bands of the spring. If you will notice, the bands of the small yellow ones are very thick, relative to their diameter. They are very strong springs, even though they're small. So, I'm not exactly sure in this case which is stronger. Thanks alot, Vito, for asking me something I should know, that I don't. ops: :lol: