Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:39 PM   #21

I have a complete color darkroom setup up in the attic. I haven't used it in quite some time. I really should have a garage sale one of these days.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 2:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
btw.....how big can you get 35mm prints?
*My* attic contains a set of 20x16-inch developing dishes (3 enamel, one plastic). I used to buy a huge roll of 16-inch paper, and print at whatever size the image would stand. The advantages of B&W printing vs colour slides were.....

1. Watching the prints develop under the (fairly bright) safelight, as seen in the movies, and learning to develop by inspection after maybe doing a test strip, i.e., doing the chemistry artistically like cookery, instead of by time & temperature

2. Very low cost.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 4:50 AM   #23

Quote:
*My* attic contains a set of 20x16-inch developing dishes (3 enamel, one plastic). I used to buy a huge roll of 16-inch paper, and print at whatever size the image would stand. The advantages of B&W printing vs colour slides were.....
1. Watching the prints develop under the (fairly bright) safelight, as seen in the movies, and learning to develop by inspection after maybe doing a test strip, i.e., doing the chemistry artistically like cookery, instead of by time & temperature
2. Very low cost.
"Just love the smell of acetic acid in the morning..."

Yeah, I have a bunch of those trays, too. A couple are sitting under my deck, where I place them between oil changes :P . I really loved B/W photography when I had (a) room to devote to developing. I was never quite hard-core enough to sit in a closet and use a room light a la Edward Weston. (Of course, he didn't need an enlarger, since he was doing 8x10 contact prints.)
Just last year I finally gave away my 4x5 enlarger and entire stock of developing tools. I realized I was never going to go back to the d-room scene, and the stuff was taking too much space in *my* attic.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 8:29 AM   #24

Stop the presses! Vito, did you just say that it stinks that you're too young to have known a B&W darkroom set up!??!!?!?!? I'M ONLY 35! LOL. Maybe I'm not young anymore... This is hilarious, this aging thing. I did a double-take when the "original" Star Wars and original release of E.T. were refered to as classics.

I loved working in the darkroom, by the way. It was a private time with no clock but the timer. Bright daylight or pitch black outside had no bearing on that little womb. And it was always magic, seeing what came out on both the negatives and film.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote