Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:19 AM   #1

Default Color-Blind Comments

I hope people don't mind this as a seperate topic. I have spent the last half hour looking at these photos and it would take me a week just to comment on everyones work.. They are all terrific. The talent and creativity are just amazing. I have not had a chance to work on an image for this challenge, but I see that I have my work cut out for me.

Gil
gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:22 AM   #2

Yes, me too! I went home last night and took a number of photos that I thought would make great black and white counterparts, only to spend hours tweaking and trying and just dumping most of them, saving a few but still substandard. This is a nice challenging challenge!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:57 AM   #3

Even if you think or absolutely know you've failed, remember that this isn't necessarily a beauty contest. All the challenges are meant to spark us, to get us out of any photographic ruts we might be in, and to teach--both ourselves and others. Take a look at Jack's photo of those springy things (still don't know what they are). He knew it failed as a b&w photo, but he posted it anyway. By sharing his failure, he also shared the knowledge he'd gained.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:23 PM   #4

there isn't really a bad side to this challenge.....well at least if you participate
i'm particularly enjoying this challenge.....getting me to learn a whole new area of photography
B/W seems to have more "mood" than color....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
B/W seems to have more "mood" than color
That's what I think, too, but I can't say exactly why. Maybe it's because color can distract us at times, or it can cover for errors in composition or focus or whatever. There's another thing about it: it's one step further from reality, and maybe it gives us permission, in a way, to be more creative. My personal opinion when it comes to portraits of people is that, almost inevitably, black-and-white works far better.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 1:05 PM   #6

i took some portraits for my family to hang in frames on the wall in my living room......i don't think they would've worked that well in color.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 4:03 PM   #7

As i said before. When you start with B/W and that is all you have , one must learn to express feelings and evoke emotions thru a monochrome world. I learned a lot of darkroom magic from my science teacher, Glenn williams. He sparked the creative side of me and caused me too look at the world differently from then on. It is a shame a whole generation will onley know of digital and computers and never experience film and darkrooms. I have forgotten many of the tricks and tips, but then i have forgotten a lot of other things after 50 yrs. Barb, thank you once again from an old veteran of the photo wars.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 4:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Barb, thank you once again from an old veteran of the photo wars.
I'm thanking me, too. My first love was b&w, and I guess it always will be.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:36 AM   #9

Can you believe that I forgot, until this assignment, that when I was in college (86-90), all we shot and developed was black and white! I'm embarrased to even admit that, since I have a BA in Visual Communications! ops: Just goes to show how quickly we unlearn something when we put it on the back burner for a decade or two!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Just goes to show how quickly we unlearn something when we put it on the back burner for a decade or two!
You haven't unlearned it. It just got shifted to the back of the closet. It's still there.