Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:09 PM   #1

Default Color-Blind: Mini Blizzard

This morning, we had a 5-minute blizzard. Naturally, I grabbed my camera, letting it only peek out the back doorway due to the great gusting wetness. I've been playing with one photo in particular, and since it's a monochrome (even the color version) and since I can't seem to make up my mind, I thought I'd just throw the three out here for all to choose from, rip apart, or ignore.

Here's the color version:

The b&w version (can't remember how I did it):

The duotone version:

Yeah, I know, it doesn't have eye-popping contrast, but you just can't find much beyond white and gray during a blizzard. Anyway, have at it. All suggestions, even those that involve deletion, are welcomed.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:13 PM   #2

hmm...i really like this shot! you may not have gotten the amount of contrast you wanted but it was a blizzard.....and this picture screams blizzard.....you got the exposure very good.....must've been tough to get the correct exposure for a shot with so much white....

one question
wat is the difference between the duotone and the color?
i can't see any major differences....

oh yeah...i like the b/w the best.....looks great
gj
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:31 PM   #3

I just looked back and forth between the color and the duotone versions and, other than the fact that the duotone is sharper, you can't see a difference. In the full-size color version, there are subtle shifts in color, but probably not enough to make a big difference.

To capture the white madness, I opened the aperture wide because I wanted the shallow depth of field to mimic what this sort of scene looks like to the naked eye. At the last second, I remembered to increase exposure compensation, but the next time I photograph a snowstorm, I'm going to crank it up a lot higher. The photos were still too dark.

I like the b&w version best, too.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 2:54 PM   #4

I like the duotone. The BW gets across the feeling of coldness, which I am tired of, here in the snow belt!!! So I like the warmer third shot. Nostalgic, not brutal reality! The tree in the foreground makes a perfect frame for the pine.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote