Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:48 AM   #1

Default Color-blind: My apologies

I guess I don't read so well. I didn't catch on to this "weekly challenge" business until just now, so I posted my "mountain zoning" picture merely in the spirit of other b/w photos that I'd seen posted with the "color-blind" label. Anyway, it's not high-contrast, merely graded contrast, so maybe it's not appropriate, but fwiw, here is the original and the makeover, once again:

Taken late this afternoon from the backyard mountain. I converted it to grayscale, although it was hardly necessary, since the original color version was almost sepia to begin with--pretty much drained of color in the dusky light. The haze in the western sky also limited contrast, so I focused manually.

Original:

B/W version

In camera adjustments: Oly-755, manual focus, contrast +3, Programmed exposure.

Post-production: grayscale in PSP 5.0, cropping, slight brightness/contrast adjust.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:35 AM   #2

Nice tonal differences and strong lines!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 1:40 PM   #3

Au contraire, mon ami (one of the few things I remember from French class). Your b&w version is fairly high contrast. Except for a couple of tiny spots, you've got just six grays, the darkest and the lightest being a lot different from each other. Sure, the contrast could be higher yet if you were to make the darkest gray black and the lightest gray white, but it would ruin the picture. You've done it just as it should have been done.

It's also a great picture!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 3:56 PM   #4

Thanks, Barb. I agree there are only 6 or 7 strong zones (depending primarily on whether you count the third mountain up from the bottom left as a zone), and I was most worried about lacking a real white. The progression basically goes from pure black in the left lower corner, to white in the upper right corner (where the sun has just gone down behind the mountains), and I guess I could do a bit more dodging up there to whiten it a bit more, but I wanted a bit softer effect -- in fact, I forgot to mention I may have cheated by using the "softening" effect in PSP, to prevent the zonal changes from being too stark.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 4:18 PM   #5

You wouldn't want to ruin a well-done piece for the sake of the challenge, and that's all there is to that! In my opinion, a pure white would do more harm than anything.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 8:02 PM   #6

Quote:
a pure white would do more harm than anything
My feeling exactly, thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:57 AM   #7

You're quite welcome. 8)
Old Mar 14, 2004, 2:07 PM   #8

hmm....i didn't post to this?....i could've sworn i did......oh well
i think this shot is VERY good
there is a sample picture in a sample folder in my pictures on my laptop.....and it is this....but blue shades instead....i REALLY like it!
good contrast! great job!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:47 PM   #9

Quote:
hmm....i didn't post to this?....i could've sworn i did......oh well . . .
there is a sample picture in a sample folder in my pictures on my laptop.....and it is this....but blue shades instead....
Thanks and apologies again, vito. Yes, I first posted this independently by mistake, then here in the challenge folder. And just to head off any confusion--this may resemble the photo in your laptop, but it isn't the same photo, unless it got there magically--I took this one myself. :!: (I would like to see the one you've got, just for comparison).
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:07 PM   #10

oh i wasn't saying it was the same one!!!! it just reminded me of it

i like this one better......the mountains are better
i think the blue one i saw was taken in the Appalachian mountains (meaning all mountains below 4,000 feet )

it is a great shot! gj
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote