Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:12 AM   #1

Default Color-Blind: Pink Tulips

I didnít have time to take a new photo, here is one that I took a year or so ago with a Nikon 990. I converted to black and white for this project (just clicked on desaturate in Photoshop), it seems to work for me.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:28 AM   #2

Very nice! Another flower photo of which I prefer the BW version.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 1:34 PM   #3

You should try adjusting the levels to see if you can bring out the mid-tones. Specifically, the hot pink areas of the flowers ended up too light a gray. I don't know if it'll work, but give a try to darkening the mid-tones, and if it improves the photo, post the results. If it doesn't improve the photo, feel free to send a raspberry my way.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:16 PM   #4

After I look at something that I have worked with for a while, I start to loose what looks good what doesnít. Tell me what you think, if the adjustment improves the BW image or not. I included the histogram for reference. The second BW image could be a little softer and have somewhat increased artifacts as it is saved from the previous BW Jpeg.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:04 AM   #5

I prefer the first rendition because of the greater amount of light, but I also like the darkened midtones in the second one. Lotta help I am. If you're interested in playing more, you might go back to the original, and just for your own benefit, play with types of conversions and also with slightly more extreme adjustments using levels or curves. It's very possible that this photo just isn't a good candidate for b&w.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:56 AM   #6

It has been a very long time that I shot in black and white. I shoot for color. The images I take that are close to BW usually have color accents that draw emphasis to certain elements of the picture. Fortunately we are not stuck with either black and white or color but can saturate and desaturate elements of the image, much like what the mind does when selecting a certain item in its field of view.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 2:29 PM   #7

hmmm that is tough.....the color is gorgeous in this shot.....but the b/w looks great.....tough...tough....tough.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote