Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 14, 2004, 12:49 AM   #1

Default Color Blind- Awaiting the deceased

I took this picture friday in Arlington National Cemetary just after my grandfather's funeral. I can't decide which version of the picture is more somber.
I used auto color to bring the white out a little more, unsharp mask at 100%, and used desaturate to make it B&W.
Color:

B&W:
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:40 AM   #2

First of all, my condolences on your grandfather.

The photo seems to me to transition well to B&W. The layout lends to drawing the eye very easily across the picture. I am more abstract and would have liked to have seen a center of interest a little more, well, interesting - something with more shape or texture.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:18 AM   #3

This is a picture that needs to be b&w. No other choice for it. Monkey143 has made an excellent point about the composition, and if you have the chance, you should revisit that spot. Perhaps you'll be lucky enough to find a person at the far end, contemplating the lives no longer lived.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 2:33 PM   #4

wait a minute......do they put people in there? or is that just a wall?
a person would definately add to this shot!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 7:25 AM   #5

Gandalf,

I also like the B&W.

I agree with the others that a person standing there reflecting on their loved one would add to the picture.

I will be going downtown on 3/31 (to do some Cherry Blossom shots) and was thinking of going over to Arlington after I am done in DC. I will be staying at my parent's in Mont. Co. on 3/30 and heading downtown before dawn on 3/31. If you want to come with me just send me a PM. If you want to do the Cherry Blossoms too, you are more than welcome, but there is a $69 fee (it's part of an instructional outing).
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 7:56 AM   #6

Quote:
wait a minute......do they put people in there? or is that just a wall?
That's exactly the problem--we know what this place is only because of the written explanation. IMHO, a photograph should speak for itself; if this is merely a photograph about tones, lines, composition, angles, and so forth, then that's one thing; on the other hand, if we're supposed to see it and think about death, parting, and bereavement, it needs a bit something more to clue the viewer into what's going on. That could be done a number of ways--a person gazing up at the mortutary vaults, a wreath or flowers in front of one, and so on.
--Like Barb says, Gandalf might want to revisit some time and try another shot.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 8:09 AM   #7

Black and white is the better. It gives the picture a somber and quiet feeling.

Gil
gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 9:31 AM   #8

Once again, the jpeg compression does bad things to a picture. Those panels are all awaiting deceased military personell. Since Arlington has VERY little ground space left, so people that want to bu 'buried' there are cremated and put there. Names are then engraved, to show who is there. I have a few other shots, I will see if another shows this.
As far as a descriptive type of thing for my picture.. In the original before I shrunk it you could make out the names on the far wall.
Here is what one looks like up close:

This is my grandmother (from the other side of the family)
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:13 AM   #9

This is my uncle placing my grandfather's remains, and a couple people walking among the markers.

Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:15 AM   #10

the one of the panel close up is very good! the second one is good...the third one is great! nice shots and good job!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote