Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 14, 2004, 4:27 PM   #1

Default Color-Blind: Old Photo Revisited

While searching through my photos for a particular one, I got delayed in my quest when I tripped across one that I took, I do believe, with my first digital camera. (I'm on my third.) Because of this week's subject, I looked at the picture with brand-new eyes, thinking it might take on an entirely different aura in b&w. The only thing I did was convert it using Calculations, red and green, multiply, 100%.

Original:

Converted:

Maybe it's just because I long ago grew tired of this photo that I prefer it in b&w. I don't know. What do you folks think?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:17 PM   #2

They both work. You loose the complement of the blue couch and the yellow-brown window molding when it goes to BW. I think that it is a matter of what you want the photo to emphasize, the warm colored wood of the window casing or the idea of the light entering through the window.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:34 PM   #3

Oooh.... I like that much better in black and white - angular (shape) yet soft (sofa and drapery fabric), stark (sparse and full of contrast) yet inviting (what a cozy, soft-looking, well-lit place to take a cup of coffee).
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:58 PM   #4

You're right, Philby, about it depending on what's wanted in or from a photo. Isn't it amazing what a radical difference occurs when converting to b&w?

And Monkey143, you spotted the precise notion that I was trying to photograph. In actuality, it isn't a couch, but an enormous squishy chair (same one photographed for last week's evidence challenge). It was the first warm day of spring, the windows were open, the filmy curtains drifted in the breeze, and the soft springtime light had come to rest on the shoulder of my favorite chair where I always go to daydream, read, and sometimes snooze. If that chair ever dies, I'll go into mourning.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 7:35 PM   #5

I prefer the color version, perhaps because in the conversion you lost the way the light played on the window frame and some details in the shadows.

But then again, I have never been a fan of B&W (except Ansel Adams' works) which may explain my lackluster entry Even when I was doing darkroom work, I preferred working in color over B&W.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 8:17 PM   #6

I agree with philby, that the black and white emphasizes the quality of the light, which is lovely. In the color version I see things - the curtain, chair, and window. To me it has a warmer feeling. They are both beautiful, tight compositions. But I dunno which I'd haul out to show the Great Photographer, if he were to visit.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:52 PM   #7

i like the b/w better......i like how the back part of the room is in deep shadow....i found it a bit distracting in the color version....nice shot and conversion
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:28 AM   #8

One of the great qualities of this forum is witnessing how varied the opinions can be. In this case, we see that some of us will always love b&w, some will choose color every time. Neither preference is based on fact; rather, they each reflect a personal way of seeing. Photography's like that--it's a way of seeing.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:42 AM   #9

very very true

that is one reason y you won't see the same two pictures published in a big compilation book.......

it is possible however to see two of the same "vacation snapshots" like at Yosemite.....i know a couple spots that (most likely) over 1,000 people took the same shot at the same spot.....lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:44 AM   #10

Default Quitely Stunning

Barbara:

Both images are wonderful, but the black and white version shows the simple lines of the composition set against the light streaming in the window. The color version reminds me of a painting and the B&W version, a simple line drawing that draws the viewer into the sence.

Well Done, Well Done - the artist shows in this composition.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote