Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:06 AM   #21

Rod, that was a funny story but with serious undertones, eh?

Freefly, the germ of this idea came from the current issue of Petersen's Photographic magazine where there was a description of covering the back of a sheet of glass with black spray paint. Thinking about it for a while, I realized the intent could be accomplished by simply laying the glass on colored fabric or paper. This way, the color of the glass could be easily changed. The technique offers both solutions and problems, the latter coming from constant and very much unwanted reflections.

Jimboy, go back and read what I said about when I came up with the idea for the photo and when I actually shot it. Do I have an advantage time-wise with the challenges? Of course I do. Does this elevate my photographic abilities? Only practice, more practice, and still more practice can do that.

Gandalf065, I'm so glad you agree with me about the solitary egg being the better image. Instead of blatantly illustrating and insisting on a single idea, it lets the viewer come up with his own ideas...or not.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:09 AM   #22

DH said "but we don't come from that kind of egg." So I told him it was a chicken graveyard :roll: Seriously, we both really like it - it's one of the best shots I've seen here since I started frequenting this site. I'd say it's one to hang on the wall.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:12 AM   #23

Jimboy, we all get a week with each challenge - in Barb's case, she also has to abandon this one a day earlier to start thinking about the next one, since she knows what it is. There are caveats to everything, including knowing the future. I'm with you on this one - it was a toughie for me, trying to come up with a subject.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:47 AM   #24

Quote:
she also has to abandon this one a day earlier to start thinking about the next one
In truth, I don't come up with each challenge just the day before. It is actually an ongoing process. I have a folder filled with ideas that only slowly take shape as I watch both myself and everyone else. What am I lacking or where does this person need help or what should that person practice? I have just enough ideas to choose from so that, as the week progresses, I can reduce the number of choices further and further until I finally know a day before, at most two, what the next challenge will be.

Anyone who thinks I'm doing this out of some sort of ego thing had better think again. There's certainly a lot of selfishness involved, but it has nothing to do with a desire to be better than everyone else. Instead, it has everything to do with a desire to always be better than I was the day before. If I take you or you take me on this journey to improvement, it makes no difference--we all win.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:01 AM   #25

Very well put!!!
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:19 AM   #26

Hey, that's kinda neat - so perhaps there will be a challenge directed at my individual growth, but I will never know it...
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Did you say the shot was done the night before setting the challenge ? ... not that it matters in my case, im still trying to figure out a subject for last weeks let alone this
Oh dear ... chill out ... if you read all of my post I'd expect people to see it was tongue in cheek ... even by the emoticons ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I think I may have stepped on someones toes somewhere along the line :?
Jimboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:05 AM   #28

[quote="bcoultry"]
Quote:
Anyone who thinks I'm doing this out of some sort of ego thing had better think again. There's certainly a lot of selfishness involved, but it has nothing to do with a desire to be better than everyone else. Instead, it has everything to do with a desire to always be better than I was the day before. If I take you or you take me on this journey to improvement, it makes no difference--we all win.
*wipes tear from eye*
that was beautiful

you must be some kind of writer or something....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 1:45 PM   #29

Sometimes tongue in cheek is hard to see. I have a very, very dry sense of humor and it gets me in lots of trouble...
Old Mar 18, 2004, 2:03 PM   #30

my humor is discribed with this..... *grroooooaaaaannnn*
lol

puntastic humor
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote