Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:08 PM   #1

Default Contrast: South Fork, Bishop Creek, Sierra Nevada

I feel like I'm cheating a bit with this offering. Yeh, it's a pretty picture, but I think it fails the challenge on a couple of counts. First, I like to make a photograph while thinking about the challenge - I think I stretch and learn a bit more that way. Obviously, this was taken a while ago - last fall actually, during a fine workshop held by Mountain Light Gallery in Bishop, CA. Secondly, my interpretation of the challenge is that it has to do with photographing verbs instead of nouns - concepts instead of things. But, hey, it's a busy week, teach, so for now we have "soft water, hard rock".

toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:52 PM   #2

That is one awesome image, words escape me.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:56 PM   #3

Wonderful shot!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:07 PM   #4

Surreal. Old or not, its a great picture, and I certainly bought it for contrast!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:31 AM   #5

Toners, as you said, it's pretty. I don't care that you cheated, so did I. I'm thinking though, you might should have saved this beautiful photo to cheat on a later challenge. :lol:
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:03 AM   #6

"Perfect"
I absolutely LOVE this shot. I have been trying for 2 months to find a scene like this around here but cant (Marbella, southern Spain), its just too dry. So for now I am going to enjoy this one, until I am able to release a million gallons of water at the top of the mountain opposite us!!
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:13 AM   #7

Oh, but there's more than just soft water and hard rock in this beautiful image! How about taking it (verbally) a step further with the opposition of two of the ancient elements--Earth and Water? Liquid and solid. Tall and thin vs. broad and squat. Then there's the cycle of life where opposite sides of the circle appear in contrast to each other... Verging on the metaphysical. Time to shut up.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:34 AM   #8

wow i'm jealous!
was this shutter speed over 1 second? it looks like it might be, did you use a ND filter?

thanks
i love this kind of picture, and have been wanting to take one, but haven't.....i haven't found a stream that has just a little white water, lol

GREAT shot
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:40 PM   #9

The neat thing about the workshop was that they took us to some beautiful, pre-scouted locations. The bad thing was we had to get there before dawn for the good light. But I learned that the diffuse early morning light results in saturated colors without the glare of direct sunlight that can wash them out. It was also dim enough that an exposure time of 30 seconds was necessary at the small aperture used for DOF at an ISO of 100.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:55 PM   #10

oh nice!

well that is some cool stuff! i really would like to do a workshop.....sounds like a blast!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote