Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Contrasts "Overkill"

OK - I know the concept of death and life, and the dead birds from the last challenge have been done before, but I am combining the two (so it must be OK ) and offer the following, spotted outside my window. The contrast is the dead bird on the new growth of lawn under the snow - and also the dead mound of dirt juxtaposed next to the green grass.

I was really hoping to get a good shot of the cat rubbing her head all over the dead bird but I was stomping around the soggy yard in my PoohBear slippers and didn't get it all set up and shot quickly enough. This was also a great shot when the snow covered everything but the feet poking out. But I missed that, too.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:00 PM   #2

He's not dead. He's just resting. Norwegian blues do that. Look he just moved...

:lol:
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3

It's a sad sort of picture, but it's definitely not gruesome. On top of that, it's composed in a way that reminds (me, anyway) of a person laid out in a coffin. Appropriately framed, nicely exposed, and with just the sort of contrast of ideas that brings a photo to life. (Odd choice of words. :shock: )

Yet another person is willing to admit that photography is turning her into a lunatic. (Pooh Bear slippers?)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:40 PM   #4

MoonGypsy, I think you're right. He must have just been really, really tired. Just like the opossums on the roadside I pass by sometimes.

And Barb, LOL - PoohBear slippers! I prefer Curious George but my local WalMart doesn't carry them And I was a lunatic long before I got my new camera - or first one, for that matter. So it must be like the chicken vs. egg vs. graveyard dilemma - is it the photography that makes the lunacy or the lunacy that drives us to the camera?!?!?
Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:58 PM   #5

Lunacy, straight-out lunacy is what's plaguing all of us. I, however, do not wear Pooh slippers. There does happen to be the single fork I must, by all means, use at dinner, but it's not a Pooh fork.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 3:02 PM   #6

LOL - oh, Barb, what you're missing by not using the Pooh fork!
Old Mar 20, 2004, 3:06 PM   #7

Hmmph!
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:28 AM   #8

Monkey:

A very interesting take on the challenge. Good composition of the bird to the new growth. I like it.

Gil
gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:28 AM   #9

Now I'm going to get myself in trouble again in this string because I'm not able to follow the "contrast" of a dead bird on dead grass, and the idea of
Quote:
I was really hoping to get a good shot of the cat rubbing her head all over the dead bird
isn't the most impressive image I have ever seen. I like birds.

I'm not saying anything more than this. The photograph confuses me emotionally and leaves me less than satisfied photographically.

Honest, I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just being honest.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:33 AM   #10

Barbara...

One thing I am happy about, and that is that you seem to be recovering from your recent pains, and that I am very happy about because I totally and completely respect your objective here and the respect that you have gained and are gaining. You are great!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote