Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:08 PM   #11

I will try to explain the Best I can. The shot has No post processing... and the blurred part is the exact same same part of the bit only the otherside. ( the clear one is where the right rein would attach and the blurred one is the left rein hole) Now I used a series of hoya close up filters A +1, +2, +4, a total of +7 Stacked Now the trickey part, Using single area focus, And Angeling the bit So the single area of focus is on the far ring ( this has to be set just right The Auto focus will focus on the closest point)So you must make sure it is on the farthest point and now Magic... it pulls it in ( the nearest point) to close for the For the Mag filters to pick up clearly, thuse Blurry , But magnified, the front part of the bit .. The rest is a trade secret... :lol: And I am glad you liked it...
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:29 PM   #12

thanks
i'll have to try something like that....did you have the bits hanging?

great job! i particularly like how the blurry bit is reflecting some light

great job
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:26 AM   #13

Quote:
The rest is a trade secret
I sure hope your trade secret isn't in any way connected with technique because, in this forum, that's just the sort of information we're driven to discover. You may have opened yourself up for being relentlessly hounded. :twisted:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:39 PM   #14

Vito, Yes the bit was hanging, in What I call my Black box. It is a three sided Box covered in Muslin About 4' by 6' sitting on a adjustible table top, I took an old tripod made a length of rod to fit on top of tripod and extends 90 deg. outward to hold objects. A light Bar surrounds the box with two Sport Spot Battery powered spotlights 1,000,000 candle power, Two small Clip lights, Ac powered 25 watt These are the cheap ones you can get at any hardware store. 1 overhead adjustible arm 100 watt Ac light in the middle, I mostly use this to adjust camera settings... Because my studio is completly blocked of to outside light , and I usually shoot in total darkness except for the lights I am using for the shots... Then a set of JTL or Dyna lite strobes Behind... Which by the way I only use about 25% of the time in my shots.. I would say 75% of my close up shots are taken with lights that cost me less than $50 !!! And the box contstruction is Plywood scrap pieces, muslin a Scrap piece, the adjutible table I made my self out of scrap, So let put $100 on the table.... Oh yes all with Tripod and shutter release... Oh No Did I just devulge a Trade Secret.... Oh well. and Barb clad to see your feeling better.. And Did you mean I should shoot more hounds, sorry can't right now I am to busy taking New KITTIE Pictures :lol: :lol: :lol:
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 6:18 PM   #15

Dale, would you be willing to take a photo of the stand you built using a tripod? The reason I'm asking is because I unearthed an old tripod in the back of a closet and was planning on creating a stand with it. My husband (when he gets around to it) will be welding a nut to a sturdy piece of aluminum, the nut being the right size for the bolt on the tripod. It'll end up being really just a tiltable easel. I'm not good at picturing things that people describe in words, so I'd really appreciate seeing your contraption if you're willing to take a quick snapshot of it.

And if you take too many more of those kitty pictures, you're going to find me one day on your doorstep. :evil:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 6:31 PM   #16

sry for bringing up a really old post....but i was looking at you gallery dale and saw this shot and couldn't remember how you did it...so i came here...and read the thread again....and i'd like to see a picture of this whole thing you got rigged for this one shot.....if it isn't too much trouble that is...or if it would give away secrets

thanks

nice shot btw
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 8:01 PM   #17

You're telling us that the large blurry ring is closer to the lens than the small sharp one! My eyes and feeble brain just won't accept that! This shot has got to be magic! I've even read your description of how you did it. It's still magic! I love it!
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote