Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:59 PM   #21

i'm amazed.....i've been at this forum since december 16 (i'm not sure if that is when i became obsessed with posting....) and we've only had one fight...and it was in one thread.....and then it was done......i don't know wat came of that fight....i haven't seen the one person in a while.....:-\

well

thanks for this thread again
i feel important now
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:46 PM   #22

I'm on my first year of homeschool here- doing mostly everything through SOS;

I gotta say it takes away from all of tha stuff I hated-
I never fit in with people my age
my sister says I act like I'm 40 and my cousin's think I act that way too.

I have fun sometimes! If I'm feeling really energetic I'll play chess!
haha, but seriously It's a world of difference with homeschool- lets you work at your own pace and it rids you of the school politics.. if you don't mind my saying so 'politics crap'.

I find it sad when I see so many people arguing over the fact that there is no seperation of income classes at school. If this is the case then why did the president pass the ever massive 'no child left behind' campaign?...

sorry.. I'm ranting. I must silence.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:32 AM   #23

I'm a solid 58 years old, and in truth, my son doesn't think of me as an old bat, probably because I don't either. My avatar shows more the inside of me than the outside.

When I was literally young, I believed older people thought in just the same way they looked. Now that I'm one of those older people, I've discovered I believed in a myth. All of us bring our inner child right up into our dotage.

Sure, I've seen a whole lot more life than, for instance, you have, Vito or Huckle, but the child within still connects with you.

When it comes to home-schooling, some of the brightest minds in this country have gone or are now going via that route. I was appalled at the teaching in my son's high school, appalled that they'd foresaken the primary stress on analysis and synthesis of facts and the fostering of independent thinking in favor of what appeared to be a fear of the young person's natural, wild creativity. The students were expected to regurgitate what the teachers had fed them. I had a son with a particularly wild mind that desperately needed channeling, not extraction, and so I grabbed him and ran before they could destroy him.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:45 AM   #24

Default Bankruptcy of purse or Bankruptcy of life

Barbara:

If you want to be old then think old bat. Me, I am young and moving forward with my dreams.

Quote:
What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense. And we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?
- Sterling Hayden, Wanderer,

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:51 AM   #25

Rod, one good quote deserves another, this one coming from America's beloved Henry David Thoreau:

"The youth gets together his materials to build a bridge to the moon, or, perchance, a palace or temple on the earth, and, at length, the middle-aged man concludes to build a woodshed with them."
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote