Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:27 PM   #11

what are you trying to get on the good side again...
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:30 PM   #12

Hey, at least I confessed and did not keep up false pretences. This should count for some good grace points. :lol:
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:32 PM   #13

i'm sure you'll have plenty of extra points when the time comes to tally them
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:35 PM   #14

I'm strongly attracted to this photograph. With regard to the challenge, it is strongly evocative of whatever sense we each store iinside ourselves of a shoreline. The photo could have been taken at a landfill, but seeing it I sense the salt air, sand in my shoes, and hear the ocean and the birds.

The photograph is well simplified, and yet as I look at it I begin to see the more complex elements that provide that strong attraction. The bird is low in the frame, so the sky looms huge. A diagonal light area crosses the frame, intersecting with the bird. Imagine how much weakend the photograph would be if the bird was against a dark area. The dark area to the upper left provides a mass to comfortably balance the the form of the bird. The angle the bird was caught at simplifies it, emphasizing the curve of the wings. I don't think of these things when I look at the photograph, but I think they all contribute to its compelling strength. Probably brtsergio wasn't consciously thinking of them either, but his photographers eye knew, "this is the moment".

Thanks for the fine photograph, brtsergio, and for the P.S. notes.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 6:48 AM   #15

Thanx for expressing the feelings suggested to you by this shot.
I could recognize most of them as being the ones of mine too !

DX6490, grazie del pensiero gentile.
However, do not rely on those translators too much. Try to retranslate your italian sentence from italian to english ...

toners, thank you very much indeed for explaining in such a clear way things I was only instictively feeling and letting me understand the reasons why I decided at the end to leave the seagull in that position.

Unfortunalty, due to the shutter lag of my cam, I cannot always say "this is the moment" !!!

Instead, also according to my way of working ( as expressed in the post http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...978&highlight=) , the right sentence could have been : "this is the shot to edit " !

And, at the end, sometimes some luck is needed to ;-)
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote