Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:52 AM   #11

I have crappy, freebie software that came with my original cheapy digital happy-snap camera. I can't do anything to just one section of a picture.

I can see I should probably put PS on my wishlist but layoffs abound here where I work. It may be awhile 'til I'm comfortable "spluring" again, after my *istD!

Thanks for the input.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:07 AM   #12

How about Photoshop Elements? It costs a whole lot less than its big brother and it has a lot of power. You'd have to go snooping around, but I think you can buy it for less than the suggested retail price. Is it $99? Anyone know?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:44 AM   #13

Monkey, neat image is available as a free download, but this version only works on jpeg's. the full will support any form. PS elements is only $58 at wal-mart. Of course i found this out after paying $99 at office depot I use the color blur on pics i save as tiff's to print and the neat image for the web. Also Photo explosion is $19 but will not do as much as elements.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 1:04 PM   #14

Thanks for all the input, guys! I'll have to do some research. I've heard good things about Jasc and I think I do have PhotoDeluxe at work. I also have Magix's photo software (came with my video software) but it had no manual and I'm not really familiar with it. The "mask" feature is not intuitive or anything like anything I've used before, for one example.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 2:43 PM   #15

hm..you didn't get any software with your *istD?

i got photoshop 5 with my G2 (it is a bad version lol)( can barely do anything....)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 3:07 PM   #16

I got a piece of Pentax-sponsored software that's pretty much just a viewer and converter. I read the manual and decided XP does pretty much everything the software does, so I decided not to waste the space. Perhaps I ought to load it, anyway, and play awhile.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 3:33 PM   #17

Monkey:

I have a copy of Photoshop elements. willing to s---------.

Gil
gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 3:57 PM   #18

Default Beat

Monkey143:

Yes, good image. It reminds me of coffee houses in the 60's and early 70's. I also like the "film grain" in the image, it conveys a sense of the time and setting of the image.

By-the-by, 1, 4 and 3 are interesting choices for numbers. Two of the numbers are prime, whereas the other is not but is the square of 2 and the sum of the number equals 8 which divided by 4 equals 2. My favorite numbers are 1, 4 and 9 - the squares of the first three prime numbers. Wow, this is fun, well for me.

Sometimes, I am just a little nerdie.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 6:27 PM   #19

Monkey: You can get demo versions of Paint Shop Pro and Photo Shop. IMHO, go with Paint Shop Pro Power Suite. It is much cheaper than Photo Shop and is a top-notch program. It can be found for less than $100 with rebates and other sales incentives. I have been using Paint Shop since way back in their shareware days. I think I started using it with version 2 or 3 and it is now up to version 8.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 6:47 PM   #20

Monkey, I believe you will need the Pentaxx software if you shoot in raw mode.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote