Old Mar 26, 2004, 7:43 PM   #1

Default Good Sense - Misty morning

Raindrops on roses. . .

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2004, 7:48 PM   #2

..and whiskers on kittens

I sense a little coolness, a little dampness, and if I get in close, I can smell that rose. And it always smells better, it seems, if I close my eyes and smile a little.

Very nice composition, exquisite detail, and very nice to use white on dark. Could there perhaps be a little less depth of field? It's a tiny bit distracting from the beauty of the flower, esp. that little blue chunk at the bottom. All in all, tho, a gorgeous photo!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 9:12 PM   #3

I like your picture. I'm not sure what if any sense it elicits in me but I sure do like it.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 9:38 PM   #4

great shot....i'm sitting here at the pc....and my sister from across the room says "wow"

nice shot
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:33 AM   #5

Default The human element

I like the shot but I am wondering if the human element must be present in an image to touch the physical senses. Perhaps, it is a gender difference, wherein females are more atone to the physical senses than males. It also may be how each of us relates visual experiences with our senses, emotions and imaginations. I know when I see certains types of light, such as when the sun breaks through after a storm has passed and the landscape is lighted agains the dark backdrop of the passing storm, I feel emotional well and become very mentally excited about my being. I can "feel" the light.

Quote:
When The Senses Overlap
For some people, the senses are linked in ways that may seem strange: Triangles can taste like citrus and a Mozart sonata can look purple. When the rest of us activate only one sense, people with synesthesia use two or more. Patricaia Duffy, author of Blue Cats and Chartreuse Kittens (Olw Books), explains her experience this way: "The alphabet is a landscape, a place I go when I'm dealing with language. It's like an upwardly sloping trail of colored letters, and I'm standing at the bottom. It starts with a big A, a big B, a big navy-blue C, then a smaller brown D and a red E, and as I look up the trail, the letters get smaller in the distance."

Synesthesia runs in families, so these connections among the brain regions may be caused by a genetic mutation. Another possible explanation is that all newborns have synesthesia, and some brains never develop enough to channel experience into five separate senses. Other scientists believe everyone retains some capacity for synthesia; that would explain why even normally functioning brains can grasp descriptions such as "loud clothes." "This is my everyday experience, it's not just metaphorical, " says Duffy. "For instance, when I'm talking, I have a sense of the words going by in their different colors. Virginia is burgunday."
- Virginia Sole-Smith - from an article Feed Your Senses, Organic Style magazine, April 2004, p.47.

In the article, Feed Your Senses, the images used to describe our senses show the human element:

An image of a pair hands holding smooth black beach rocks for texture, weight and temperature,

An image of a person holding a shell to her ear - sound and imagination,

An image of a person smelling a flower - smell and imagination,

An image of a person bitting into an apple - taste.

The photography was by Jose Picayo and the prop styling was by Alistair Turnbull.

I am discovering this challenge is more complicated than I originally thought and senses are very much an individual experinece. Oops, I just saw a red R running by ..............

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 9:42 AM   #6

Monkey, tried your revisions. Saw the blue area after posting and was too lazy to change it ops: blured the edges a little but really like the front leaf in greater focus. However I'm glad I tried the changes (it gave me a perspective I hadn't thought of).

Everyone else, yes this is a very subjective challange. My aim here was to bring to the senses a garden on a warm rainy morning, the smell of roses and the feel of the damp. However to explain a challange means I didn't achieve it because a picture should tell it's own story. On another forum recently someone posted a picture of a gardenia and my first response was to take a deep breath. I didn't even realize I had done it until I was writing my response to the picture.
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:10 AM   #7

Suzan,
I think that explaining your thoughts on a challenge doesn't automatically mean you haven't met it - I did sense the early wet, tho it was chilly for me and warm for you. I could smell the flower. I always add my thoughts to my own challenge - not to explain the challenge, but to explain who I am a little and see if anyone else sees the picture the same way I did/do. It's a fantastic picture, full of the senses. And, this picture, by any other challenge, would still small as sweet!
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:19 AM   #8

Wow, but this was thought-provoking. I instantly reacted to the beautiful photograph. I could smell the rose and I had another sensation, perhaps from a long-ago childhood memory: licking the moisture from a petal.

The above was followed by Rod's excerpt, making me sit back with such a jumble of memories, sensations, and ideas that I can't even begin to straighten them out. Thoughts about dreams where color can be touched, memories of being very young and quite literally having trouble seeing how things were supposed to look, and then a whole lot more that seems, at the moment, quite...uh....senseless.

Can a person taste an aroma? Smell a color? Hear a texture? I wouldn't doubt it for a moment.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 11:37 AM   #9

My first thought on looking at the photograph was that it was very well done and pleasing, but for it to work on my senses it would need to include the profile of a nose and perhaps an eyelash. Then reading the comments, I realized that maybe I have lost something once taken for granted in childhood, when we all are strongly connected with senses - that connection that still can provide a sudden inrush of memories and feelings of place when our nose gets just the right stimulus. Barbara's comments, and Ron's about overlapping senses, the other comments that suggest to me that other's sense things in images that I may be missing, is going to have me searching today for a place in the right side of my brain that hasn't been visited in a while.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:47 PM   #10

toners - better than searching in the wrong side of your brain! I like your thought of an eyelash. And perhaps a curve of rosy cheek? but, really, I do like this just as-is.

Barb, you reminded me that I just learned through a cooking class, that roses are edible! Tho I haven't tasted them yet.