Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:56 PM   #1

Default Good Sense and No Sensibility

Went to the Maple Festival this afternoon - I guess it's that time of year again. Food vendors are everywhere, and it's too much to smell, and diet too! I love to watch them make cotton candy, and the popcorn always smells better than the kind you make at home.

monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2004, 5:20 PM   #2

you know wat.....lol.....i smell funnel cake from seeing this shot.....gj
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 6:04 PM   #3

Default The smell of carney

I love this picture because in has the human element associated with the taste and smell of a carney. This is were the sense of smell and taste become confusing. For me, the image brings back memories of carnivals and the smells and taste of carney food. These smells and tastes are unique to the carney. I know smell and tast can trigger memories and apparently, memories can trigger the sense of unique smells and tastes.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:02 PM   #4

Like you, Rod, this brought up old memories, one in particular. Even though the photo shows cotton candy and advertises popcorn and has lemons displayed (never saw that before), I immediately thought of fried dough liberally sprinkled with sugar. Just that and the circus coming to town where they had clowns. I hated clowns. They scared me. But not fried dough. That didn't scare me at all. I remember a hot night in August when I ate fried dough and was far away from those evil clowns.

This challenge is seeming more and more like a failure of my original idea of what it would be but a huge success for all of us in understanding what triggers the senses and how. I wonder, will it improve our photography or will it simply improve our understanding of people's reactions to photography? I guess there's no way of knowing until the future is now.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:45 PM   #5

ummm, lemons
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 8:35 PM   #6

Default Failure?

Failure, No. What the challenge is showing is, senses and memory are intertwined. We are complex.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 9:44 PM   #7

well indirectly, nowing wat triggers senses in pictures can make our photography in a sense that we know how to do it now....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:10 AM   #8

Yes, there was funnel cake there! As well as some hot sausage that I thought others covered better. There was a delightful photo I took of a mentally challenged woman eating cheese-covered curly fries, one by one, by hanging them and dropping them into her mouth. But I did not get her permission so I can't post and feel good about it.

No clowns, tho, unless you count the men and women in Civil War garb.

Interesting. Our senses are irrevocably connected to memories, and we all like to share. That seems to be what we all have in common, even though our memories and what we like are different.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote