Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:21 AM   #21

I'm taking this from a book because I didn't want to get anything about it wrong:

"Instead of glass, thin sheets of iron, japanned black, were coated with the light-sensitive emulsion....Because the surfaces of tintypes were not fragile, they could be sent through the mail, carried in the pocket, and mounted in albums....They were cheap...a direct descendent of the daguerreotype."

It would take a bit more research to discover when the tintype went out of fashion, but even that bit of information can't tell whether what you have is a tintype, particularly if we consider that, even today, there are those who still produce daguerreotypes. The only way of knowing for sure is to inspect your photo closely, discovering whether it's on paper or metal.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:42 AM   #22

It feels like cardboard. Also, Im ashamed to admit that I caused the worst of the damage on it. It looked dirty so I tried to wipe it clean with a damp rag and a fair amount of the picture came off!!! That was 15 years ago.

anyway heres a couple corrections done on computer, it wont make up for the damaged original which is about a 24 by 20 inch portrait but one day I may get an expert to try and fix it.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 9:41 AM   #23

I once pulled that particular stunt too. I have a photo sitting next to me right now that a friend asked me to digitally restore for her. Taken sometime in the late 1800's, it has more than a century's worth of grime on it. I'd dearly love to just wash it away, but, lucky for my friend, I learned my lesson about such criminal acts. Like me, you'll probably never do that again.

Perhaps you might rethink colorizing the flowers in this photo. Not only does it take away from the lovely aura of age, but the flowers take the eye away from the face, the true and only subject of the picture.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote