Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 3, 2004, 9:53 AM   #11

around 1900, grandmother and great aunt.

how long before we can start revealing the facts about these photos?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
how long before we can start revealing the facts about these photos?
Monday morning, which will occur at different times for various people because of their location on the globe. I guess I better post a "sticky" message up top so everyone knows.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:57 PM   #13

Wellll????
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:05 PM   #14

Yeah, Barb! C'mon! (your posts are almost my birth year. Wow!).

I see toners is on the site now. I'm not the only one wiling away a delightful evening where I could have been doing something mundane like using the treadmill, reading a good book, doing some laundry, etc.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:28 PM   #15

Hey you shrunk, Monk! :? Happens from spending overtime in front of the monitor - get sucked into cyber space!
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:40 PM   #16

All right all ready!

This is an 1897 photograph of sisters. It was taken in Astrakhan, Russia, a city at the northern end of the Caspian Sea and on the delta of the mighty Volga River. Their brother has been in America for four years, working and sending money back home to help his family emigrate.

Seven years after this photo, the sistersí father and another brother leave. The younger sister gets married. By 1913, she and everyone else has gone to America except for her big sister who chooses to stay in Russia with her husband. Itís a bad choice.

Many years go by, and through all this time, letters pass between the sister who stayed behind and the family far away across the sea. Whenever a letter arrives, the family gathers round to hear it read and then read again. Sometime during World War II, the letters stop, and sheís never heard from again. Only one person is currently alive who even remembers there was such a sister, but she was too young when the letters stopped, and she doesnít remember the sisterís name.

This is all that remains of the sister who chose to stay behind, the sister who was my fatherís aunt. No one remembers the sound of her voice, and no one knows her name. I call her Khana. Everyone needs a name.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 9:49 AM   #17

Default Stores Untold

Barbara:

Thank you for sharing this story. Khana is another story of countless untold stories from a time when the world went mad with hatred. Now, part of her store is told and we all share a sense of loss. Khana is a good name.

Her story reminds me of so many stories of sadness from this era that I heard as a child.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote