Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 31, 2004, 6:18 PM   #1

Default Good Old Days are Here Again

monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2004, 6:38 PM   #2

Mid-late 50's maybe early 60's. Washing powder and canned goods. Also Quaker boy cereal in buggy. I remember scenes like this when i was young. I am going to say your Mother and an older brother. Back then Mother still stayed at home. I can tell the first guy is a store hand but what of the guy in the back with his hand on his hip. It is a snapshot and not an ad or they would not be in it. Thje stock,an is holding a towel as he looks to be cleaning up. It is well after the war as the shelves are too stocked. I am going with the mid-50's.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 6:41 PM   #3

Default ?????

I can not date this one, perhaps the late 60's or early 70's.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 7:11 PM   #4

It was also shot with a very strong flash. This pic was not taken with a runof the mill camera. Maybe press camera?
Old Mar 31, 2004, 8:22 PM   #5

I'm thinking the late 50's. The young boy is obviously a street urchin. The lady, a society maven. The picture, taken by a freelance tabloid photographer for The Philadelphia Enquirer's story on the rising cost of chili con carne.

Unless I missed my mark, the story was nominated for a Pulitzer, but was later disqualified from the ballot because of a conflict of interest due to an accusation from Senator Joseph McCarthy, and the makers of Fluffy Suds brand laundry detergent. The story gets fuzzy for me after that point. :lol:

P.S. Some or all of my observation may have been fabricated.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:05 PM   #6

Late 40's or early '50's. Monkey's grandmother is taking time out from collecting on her winning raffle ticket (all you can get into your cart in 5 minutes) to pose for the local news photographer.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:45 AM   #7

wow, monkey, that is so advertizy, is this seriously a photo about your family? I doubt it. It's too advertizy.

The only thing that's missing is the script:

Oh, dear, do you think I should by Libby's beans

Or Heinz
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:41 AM   #8

By your posts, Monkey, you like music and songs. I observe you also really wanted to name it "Happy days are here again" After reviewing your other post i realize this is not your Mother. I wonder if this is a "red herring" photo :lol:
Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:46 AM   #9

This pre-dates the huge rise in supermarkets as we know them today. It looks more like a large grocery store in the 50's. It also looks like our very own Betsy is living up to her nickname. Be that as it may, since I see no evidence of a moire pattern, I'm betting it's an original photo that was scanned, not something from a magazine...unless it was a very high quality mag.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 5:33 PM   #10

Colgate Octagon Dish Washing soap! New style Campbell soup cans! Van Camp's Chili Con Carne! My guess is in the 60's
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote