Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:35 AM   #11

I just noticed the small trees appear to be planted as a grove and what appears to be rows of smaller "stuff" growing between them. Colud this be one of Ca. first orange groves?
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:54 AM   #12

At least Normcar has a face, now, on his Avatar! I don't know why, but I see two separate families, not one extended one. I agree with the time period. And I see the east, not west. These are just feelings; no sleuthing. I agree; well-to-do family probably Toners' well-heeled and fun-loving great-grandparents. This photo just says "fun" and "happiness" to me.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:35 AM   #13

Quote:
At least Normcar has a face
Yes, I'm back to square one, my original avitar, my own mug. I'll probably go off on another avitar altering quest in a bit just because it's fun to change and I can't look at myself for any length of time without slapping the puter.

"Two" families... two mums, makes sense to me. However, the other apparent mum may just be "auntie" but probably not.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:28 PM   #14

The photograph was taken by my grandfather, John Mindling, in 1913, on the family farm in Washington County, Ohio. His wife, Amertt, holds my Dad, Leo. John's brother, Carl, sits next to the high chair - he didn't marry until five years later. John and Carl both worked as railroad telegraph and switchtower operators in Indianappolis. Or maybe Carl still lived at home at this time. At any rate, John and Amertt have come "home" to the farm for a weekend visit, and are picnicing with Uncle Carl and cousins Henry and Phoebe.

John and Carl were sons of the Mindling fellow that married one of the beautiful German daughters of Carl Peters, who settled the farm with his father in the mid 1800's, and got his farm into the bargain. That was about 130 years ago, and the old Peters clock, the works brought from the old country and the case made on the farm, patiently ticks off a bit more time here in Cool.

More pictures, and recollections of a young girl's visit to the farm, here.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:50 PM   #15

I knew it was east! Thanks for sharing!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:54 PM   #16

Rod got closest to the time frame, and the rest of us got misled by the lack of a picnic hamper.

A lot of nice photos on that family page, nice enough that you should make them into links to larger versions.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote