Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 1, 2004, 7:50 AM   #1

Default Good Old Days - After Dachau, Tears of Sadness, Tears of Joy

Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2004, 8:05 AM   #2

I have been looking at these images for about a half an hour trying to think of what to say. But, with the title you gave, there is not much to add. I would like to guess, though, that these pictures are of your surviving family.

Gil
gmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:59 AM   #3

I don't know that there IS anything we can say. Had Rod not given us a title to go by, we could still have seen struggle and poverty in the first photo (patched dress) and perhaps hunger in the recent past in the second photo.

That first picture is wonderful, with the man looking forward as if into the future while his wife looks backward into the past. They are a unit filled with hope and remembrance. A beautifully composed, very symbolic photo.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:53 AM   #4

Default The Healing Process

Barbara:

There is not much one can say about the photos, the title and people in the image tell the story. Perhaps it is best if we say nothing and let the images tell us their story.

Posting of these photos was very difficult for me, but has become a healing process, hence the title "Tears of Sadness, Tears of Joy."

The intent was to meet challenge but the story was too much for me. I ask that replies not be made - thank you.

Kind Regards,

rod
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:14 AM   #5

Default Images of my past

The photo's are of my grandfather and grandmother, as well as my uncle on my father's side of the family. Both my grandfather and uncle were interned in Dachau and survived. The first image was probably taken in 1948 after they had returned to Czechoslovakia then had to escape from the Communists when they took over the country in 1948. They were living in a displaced persons camp, near Munich, German when the photo was taken. The image of my uncle was probably taken in 1945 or 1946. They were interned in Dachau because they were caught escaping from the Nazi's and because my father was in the underground and a Social Democrat. I never knew either of them.

Quote:
Der Weg ins Freie, Martin Niemöller

When the Nazis arrested the Communists, I said nothing; after all, I was not a Communist.

When they locked up the Social Democrats, I said nothing; after all, I was not a Social Democrat.

When they arrested the trade unionists, I said nothing; after all, I was not a trade unionist.

When they arrested the Jews, I said nothing; after all, I was not a Jew.

When they arrested me, there was no longer anyone who could protest.

-- translated by Bob Berkovitz

This post was very difficult for me and I again ask, that no replies be made. Their story like countless others is full of sadness and just too close to read any replies.

Thank You,

Rod