Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1

Default Good Ole Days - My Entry

[/img]
Robert Szabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:28 PM   #2

oh cool picture!!!!!

by the hats i'd say around when Lincoln was president (aack can't remember my history dates.....)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:54 PM   #3

I'm thinking 1890's. (Those hats have had a rather long history.) This looks like a studio portrait of possibly unrelated men, perhaps business partners. They certainly have the look of entrepreneurs with those fine threads...or could they be politicians? The linked arms look purposefully symbolic.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 1:14 PM   #4

now that i look at it......look at the background.
you see a white cloth hung, like it is supposed to be a more close-up of their faces, and more straight on, because the cloth isn't wide enough to have a less close-up shot.

The prospect of entreprenuers (shoot SP?) is very possible cuz it could symbolize friendship of the companies.
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:18 PM   #5

!870 or later possible 1890. Those are silk hats and not beaver. The stirrup pants came out around 1870. The two on the left and the one on the right are not wearing wedding rings. The beards and goatees are after the war. The shoes on the first two are not worn suggesting they sit a lot. possibly bankers the third has appreciable wear on his looking more like riding boots. For some reason I get the carpetbagger feeling. I hope that is not my Southern heritage showing thru :lol: The first looks more weathered as if he spends more time outdoors than the softer appearing trio. and his clothes and appearance (haircut) are just a little shabbier. The third mans clothes seem thrown together. The vest and pants don't match the other mens.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:42 PM   #6

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think wedding rings on men were much in fashion back then. I believe it's a much more recent addition to ceremonies and rites. The woman was bound to the man, not vice versa.

I never knew about stirrup pants. Where on earth did you learn about that?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 7:12 PM   #7

Barbara, you could be right on this point and as far as the pants I honestly do not know. My head is full of useless trivia that untill this challenge I had no hope of ever using. Seriously I retain 80% of anything I hear or read. I have been like this since 2nd grade. It is a curse sometimes as I have Phone #'s in my head from childhood! :lol:
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 7:22 PM   #8

Default Double Edged Sword

DX:

A good memory is a double edged sword - I know.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 8:11 PM   #9

1890s, possiblly agroup business owners or those involved in a towns council department eg Sherriff etc
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:28 PM   #10

Robert...

What an absolutely excellent photograph. Definitely 19th century, probably a photograph related to family since photography was new at that time. I'd say that photographer was not experienced even at that time because I doubt that they would, even at that time, publish a photo of some subject looking away from the camera as we see here in subject number 3 from the left, not to mention the placement of knees (3 have them crossed and one doesn't). I doubt that would be a professional photo, so that can be eliminated. It is definitely 19th century, and it's probably a family photo taken from a member of the family who was wealthy enough at the time to even have a camera.

If I were to guess I'd probably choose the guy on the left because he seems to be the most confident and was probably the one who initiated this photo shoot in the first place. The others look a bit less than comfy.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote