Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:21 PM   #1

Default Good Old Days - What do these guys do?

toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:03 PM   #2

Wow. I'm terrible at this. Those boots - the hats - the tankards - they are wearing heavy shirts but sleeves rolled up. Cool climate, heavy labor. It's obviously thirst work, no matter what. I can't tell if the boots are protective or water-proof. Early dock workers? Ironsmiths? Their mugs are definately metal and individually crafted. Heavily used and abused. The hats have to be hot, esp in the sun. I say something with water in a temperamental climate - not always hot or cold. They look happy and proud, and like a band of brothers. Are those scuffs left by boots or the remains of coal? Their faces are impeccably clean, tho.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:05 PM   #3

Work in a brewery? Do you need to wear boots in a brewery? If the guy on the left is any evidence, after a while, a brewery worker needs to loosen the waistband of his pants.

Those boots, though, are surely a major clue here. Knee high. A bit looser at the top than what I'm used to seeing. All three men are wearing the same boots as if they were issued to them or at least were required for the kind of work they do.

I'm lost, but I do rather like my brewery vision. It hops.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:13 PM   #4

The hats suggest Russian immagrants and i would say early teamsters or muleskinners. This is turn of the century
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:17 PM   #5

...but the hats are all different - they aren't part of the standard issue.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 4:31 PM   #6

Those are not work hats (well, maybe the right one is.) I find the middle guy's vest interesting. I would expect a banker to wear that, not a laborer.

Those boots do sure look standard issue, though. I'd guess waterproof.

But my first guess was "drinker" (not a drunk, just a person who drinks.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:02 PM   #7

Default Sailors

Hum, I believe their occupation is related to the water - perhaps fisherman or sailors. The boots and hats are that of either fisherman or sailors. The era is either very late 1800's or very early 1900's. Considering Toners lives in California, this photo may have been taken around the San Fransisco Bay area. These three chaps could be from a scow schooner or lumber schooner. I don't think they are square rigger men but definitely hand, reef and steer rated.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Considering Toners lives in California
You may be running into the same problem I did with the photo of young folks having just exited a record shop. Because the poster lives in Australia, I assumed that's where the photo was taken. It could actually have been taken anywhere. In this case and for all anyone knows, Toners may be from Chicago, Illinois, but got darned sick of wind and snow.

Involved in this challenge is learning to see what's there without adding in what isn't in the picture. I ought to pay attention to my own challenges. You have an excuse--you didn't concoct the challenge--but what's my excuse?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 3:46 AM   #9

Come on folks this is a piece of cake...

The guys are drinking coffee having just taken their turn in the ice house. That explains the waterproof boots and the long sleeves etc.. that's coffee in the mugs to warm them up after their turn in the ice house. See, that wasn't so difficult.

Believe me, I haven't got a clue what I'm yakking about but it sounds good, at least to me...

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 9:50 AM   #10

fish factory workers on coffee break. They could be those who unload the fish from the trucks and hose down the loading room.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote