Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:02 PM   #1

Default Good Old days:one foot in the pond

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2004, 4:08 AM   #2

Alan,

Obviously in UK, with you sitting on the grass in the dark sweater. Your sister showing her displeasure having to sit still and your mom trying to pacify her with some object in her left hand. A paper crown/hat possibly?

It's got to be a warm summer day one of the few days in England that isn't overcast. taken perhaps in the nineteen sixties. The celebration is about your uncle who is so overjoyed at something he's got his shoe in the pond and doesn't even realize it. I estimate the sixties since the ties on your uncle and your dad right behind you are not narrow enough for a fifties wardrobe.

Furthermore, this shot was taken after dinner since the dog obviously smells something on your head in your hair possibly and is reaching to get a taste of it.

Your dad probably drove an Austin or a Hillman since those were the cars of the working class rather than a Bentley or Rover or Jaguar the choice of the upper classes.

I could go on like this.....

Barbara, see what you've started, great fun tho...
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 8:40 AM   #3

Default England

Yes, definitely an English Garden and your family caputured on film between 1950 and 1955. Rationing was on its way out and things were looking better on the Island of Oaken Walls.

We immigrated to Canada from England in 1950 - mostly to get a fresh start after the war.

Roderick
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:59 AM   #4

How can we possibly follow a Selvin post?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 5:04 PM   #5

...but what is grandmother showing us? And why is little sis so unhappy? Is it dad's soggy shoe? Or could it be she's jealous of Rover's attention...

..these questions, and more, will be answered on the next episode of The Young and the Mindless...
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 5:47 PM   #6

And what about the building in the background. I'm voting for a green house.

Don't forget that the grandfather's tie is actually really wide (but hidden by the head of the child.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 3:10 AM   #7

I don't think it's a building I think it's a pasture(hillside to non-horse owners) and fence.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:29 AM   #8

I think Suzan's right - it's a fence that just happens to have the same line as the hillside.

What a lush garden!!!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:09 PM   #9

Default Self-timer puts foot in pond

The picture was taken in 1956, using a self-timer, by the photographer with his foot in the pond, who is my father-in-law, aged 77 next month. The young woman is my mother-in-law, 75 next birthday. They now live about 200yds away in our Cheshire village.

No-one seems to have noticed, as father-in-law had, that my wife, sitting on the right, aged 2, has probably had an accident in her nappy (diaper). It was this beautiful, amusing and entirely accidental composition that inspired me to post the image.The little boy, her elder brother, is now a respected Professor of mediaeval history in the University of London (and recently a visiting prof. at Berkeley.). The photo was taken at a Prep.School in Berkshire, England where father-in-law (a Methodist minister's son, and Cambridge-educated geographer) taught, shortly before the four of them left for Kenya for four years' work in a Mission School for African boys.

The older couple are my wife's maternal grandparents. Great-grandpa was Chief Fire Officer of Darlington, NE England, at the time. They moved to our village at the same time as my in-laws (when father-in-law retired). They both died in their nineties in 1998, after 70 years of marriage, and are buried in the chuchyard between my family's and the in-laws' houses.

As for Hillmans, Bentleys etc, family transport at the time was two bicycles, one with seat for brother-in-law, and one with sidecar for wife.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:39 PM   #10

This is what I love about old photos. Once their tale is told, there's a feeling that the people are moving slightly, that they're coming to life. A slightly unfortunate side effect of this in the above photo is that knowledge of the little girl's plight tends to fire up the physical senses, one in particular. :shock:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote