Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 3, 2004, 7:26 AM   #1

Default Good Old Days: It's a nice day...

For a white wedding....

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2004, 8:15 AM   #2

Well, Billy, this is definately upper-crust, roaring twenties (headpiece on maid of honor and dropped-waist dress - short hair)? What huge amounts of flowers! I've never seen anything like that. Did you, a rebel, come from such well-heeled family? This has to be your grandparents' wedding. Granddad looks pleased as punch that this high-society lady said "I do." The coyness says she is definately used to being treated this way. The party looks unhappy. The three on the left are looking at something else - granddad is beaming right at us.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 8:56 AM   #3

Default Addendum

Monkey:

You are spot on. Based on facial characteristics, the maid of honor is the brides sister and the young man is brides brother. The two attendant are on the brides sides. Definitely upper economic class.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:03 AM   #4

Yes, and look at the ring on the groom's finger. Wish there was a close-up of it.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 5:00 PM   #5

The best man's suit is ill-fitting, so if the money in this family comes from the bride's side, the best man can't be her brother.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:10 PM   #6

Ok folks... first thank you for the entertaining guesses!

This is my grandparents wedding, on my fathers side. Date unknown but some time in the '20's. Here is the thing. I believe they were relatively poor... lower middle class at best... definitely blue collar! But I agree though that looking at this wedding picture certainly doesn't portray that! I mean I've been to a lot of wedding in my time but as it was pointed out... LOOK at those FLOWERS! And you know I never noticed that ring my grandfather was wearing... But these are Polish people and very proud... Weddings were VERY significant and having a proper 3 day wedding was very important.... So I think this is a case of image... if you know what I mean...

unfortunatley I don't know who the attendents are...
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:45 PM   #7

Your comment about the financial end of things brings back to mind the fact that many portraits were once done with the sitters wearing clothes supplied by the photographer. I know it isn't the case here, but it just reminded me of this. On the other hand, those flowers could have been supplied. Or not.

I wonder what happened to that ring. If it was precious to your grandfather--he was wearing it on his wedding day, so it must have been--then it's very possibly still floating around somewhere. Perhaps you have an aunt or uncle with it stashed away in a drawer.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 1:07 PM   #8

Yes, the ring is very intersting... If it would have been passed down it would have gone to my father.... my guess is he might have been buried with it... Guess I'll have to go to my mom's and dig out her shoebox full of old pictures and see if i can find any more pictures of the mystery ring!