Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:28 AM   #1

Default CHALLENGE: 4/7/04-4/13/04 “DOF with a Twist”

This week’s challenge comes from forum member, ImKayd1 (Suzan), and it’s a good one. For it, we must be able to change our camera’s f-stop because we’ll be playing with depth of field. If you can’t do this, please stay with us anyway. Not being able to do it yourself doesn’t mean you haven’t a good eye or a valid opinion.

Here's what Suzan suggested: using a shallow depth of field, take several photos of the same scene, changing the area of sharpest focus. We may discover that our immediate and first idea of where the focus should be was the right one, but we might also be surprised by our results.

We can post the best rendition of the scene, telling which other parts of it we attempted to focus on, then why this didn’t work. Alternatively, we can post several of the photos in the series, thus giving graphic examples of what happened as we changed focus.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, Suzan!

Here’s a simple example:

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2004, 4:16 PM   #2

If you have a point-and-shoot digicam you can still do this interesting challenge, as long as it has a zoom lens, allows you to focus fairly closely, and most important, has a focus lock. The focus lock may be a separate button, or, more commonly, pressing the shutter release halfway will lock the focus as well as the exposure. Zoom in and get close for a shallow DOF, then use the focus lock to choose your plane of focus.

Does it sound like I know what I'm talking about? Oh good, since I've got you fooled, I'll try some more: in dim light, like indoors, or outdoors in the shade, your P&S is more likely to be using a larger aperture, i.e., shallower depth of field.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 4:30 PM   #3

According to Toners, everyone should be able to join in the fun. I was a bit concerned about this, but I guess there was no need.

This is the first time a challenge has been posted without one or more people immediately showing up with photos. Odd. Nothing, not even a single matching picture in your archives?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 4:48 PM   #4

this is more of an assignment

good idea
can't wait to try
i have some shots..that are somewat relevent....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:36 PM   #5

Default Challenge vs. Life

Vito:

This is a challenge, life is an assignment.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:08 PM   #6

Sometimes life is the challenge.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 9:40 PM   #7

lol.....well more of something you have to experiment THIS week.....not just find a picture you already took
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
This is the first time a challenge has been posted without one or more people immediately showing up with photos. Odd. Nothing, not even a single matching picture in your archives?
We're just takin' a breather, teach, letting the last one simmer down a bit in our heads.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:18 AM   #9

I have mine all ready to go - but in two hours online, I have uploaded ONE of the five photos to photobucket. There's a problem somewhere and it's probably with me!
Old Apr 9, 2004, 8:49 AM   #10

Hey - after rereading my manual, I found out I can actually see the preview of the shots I am going to take, complete with depth of field accurately depicted. I learned something already!