Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:13 PM   #1

Default DOF: prehistoric cooking balls.

Found these outside of Poverty Point State Historic site. They date back 1-2000 yrs. They heated them in a fire and dropped them in the food. Each one is different and bears the finger impression of the maker. The first i focused on the closest and the second on the second.

DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:15 PM   #2

I used a focal length of 385 mm and f 3.5. Here is the third.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:52 PM   #3

The first photo would be "the one" if it weren't for the fact that it's slightly overexposed. The third one has the best exposure.

This points out something that is often--but not always--true. Because of the way we see, it tends to strike our brains as somehow not right when the nearest object is out of focus. I think this happens if, as in your photos and in the ones I posted within the challenge, the items are in a row.

I'm really glad you posted this series. It's a good teaching set.

However, I want to know about those cooking "stones." Since they retain the finger impressions, am I right in assuming they're ceramic? American Indians used to use actual stones, didn't they?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:36 PM   #4

What an interesting story, and experiment. I really like the deep blue you have, offsetting the ivory, and the slight curve to the linear layout. I agree with Barb (Dali BB) on the exposure and DOF.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:04 PM   #5

They are clay that is fire hardened. They were heated and dropped in skin bags to0 cook the food. they were used before clay pots were invented. I was off on my dates. 2000-3000 yrs. old.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:47 AM   #6

Very interesting - cooking balls! I learn something new every day!

I hadn't thought about it but the picture with the closest ball being in focus does indeed seem to be most natural to the eye.

You think maybe those cooking balls would be the answer to my wife's problem of burning dinner. OOOPs - She doesn't know the address of this site does she?
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 8:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX6490
They are clay that is fire hardened. They were heated and dropped in skin bags to0 cook the food. they were used before clay pots were invented. I was off on my dates. 2000-3000 yrs. old.
Just to make it clear so others don't misunderstand, DX is referring to the approximate date of the cooking balls. Clay pots were made and used in various parts of the world many thousands of years ago, evidence existing for as early as 9000 B.C. Those who used the clay balls may well have not figured out how to make a ceramic vessel until later on, but in other areas, people had.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:52 AM   #8

This is great. not only learning about photography, but history, philosopyy, science, etc. Maybe we need o change the name of the group? Somtihng like "The Intellectual Photo Group".

Gil
gmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
"The Intellectual Photo Group"
In my case, it's less a product of intellect than it is a huge collection of oddball information for which I've never found a single legitimate use.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 5:37 PM   #10

lol....

then that would be....

"The Group That is Well Acquainted With Useless Facts and Trivia"
kinda long...here the abbreviated version
TGTIWAWUFAT

lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote