Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:12 PM   #1

Default DOF: The eyes have it - I think?

Here we have my feeble attempt at this challenge. The two pictures I call doggie1 and doggie2 were taken in macro mode at full wide angle with my Epson 3000z. Both were shot at F2.0. The first one was focused on the nose and the second on the eyes. There is a difference in exposure since I forgot to set the camera to manual and when I refocused on the eyes I got more back light and the camera set the shutter to 1/39 instead of the 1/26 on the first picture. No time to do it over so here they are. It appears if you want to take a real close shot of your doggie you should focus on the eyes and let the nose fall where it may! Both pics were 3MP downsized to 640x480. Fire away folks - I don't claim to be a photographer and my skin is as thick as a rhino.

Doggie1

Doggie2
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:31 PM   #2

nice illustration of doggie DOF, how did you get your dog to keep the same expression?
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:57 PM   #3

Not only is this a fine example of changing focus in a shallow DOF, but it's also darned funny.

When I got done chuckling, I realized this is a good example of changing the idea behind a photo by changing focus. The first one is all about the dog's sniffer and the second one is all about the little doggy soul behind the nose.

PKchopper, I'd say Puck warned the little guy that, if he moved so much as a whisker, his nose would get sewn even tighter. This really should be reported to the ASPCA.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:29 PM   #4

This is great! It took awhile to load, so I was eagerly anticipating a well-behaved chocolate lab or something... The first one definately says "I'm curious and sniffing you." The second says to me, "I like you. Let's play!" So, really, the dog isn't staying the same at all.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:57 PM   #5

Puck, did your dog just eat? He looks stuffed!

BTW, Where is Mechanicsville? I live in Front Royal.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 9:57 PM   #6

lol lol lol

promise keeper....you need to hang around more often......your hilarious

good job with the challenge!!!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:37 AM   #7

" I'd say Puck warned the little guy that, if he moved so much as a whisker, his nose would get sewn even tighter. This really should be reported to the ASPCA."

That would be the aspcSa.

"Puck, did your dog just eat? He looks stuffed"

The nice thing about this doggie is he eats nothing and never pees on the carpet. He's a replacement for, and looks much like, our dog of 15 years "Dandy" who passed on to that big fire hydrant in the sky a couple of years ago. I often affectionately referred to Dandy as "Last DOG".

PrmseKpr - Mechanicsville is a town in Hanover County just east of Richmond. I'm actually in downtown Atlee, VA (find that one on a map) which is a few miles up Rte 95 north of Richmond, but my mailing address is M'Ville.

I've been looking at these challenges for the past few weeks and have been impressed with the insight and creative talent you folks have. I'll not mention the humor which is also readily apparent! The creative genes in my family somehow skipped me. My mother was a dancer, my wife is an artist and my daughter is a professional singer. My son can play a pretty mean guitar and belt out a song. I, on the other hand, don't have a creative bone in my body. In my line of work, creativity can land you in jail - think Enron and Tyco! I figured if I hang around creative and talented folks something will rub off - BUT after all these years I still can't dance, I can't sing, I can't paint and I can't take a really good picture. That being said, I have developed an appreciation for those who can! Life is sweet.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:39 AM   #8

Actually, based on all dogs I know, these shots belong in one of the many lens-cleaning threads to be found round here.

That tongue is about to give the lens a really good clean, followed up with the photographer's face for pudding, as an expression of affection, love, tolerance of stupid humans, etc.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:56 AM   #9

Alan - LOL. Yes, dogs (and cats!) are good cleaners of all kinds of things! (lenses, windows, plates, etc.)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:08 AM   #10

Quote:
The creative genes in my family somehow skipped me.
Some people seem born with it, others manage to achieve it. Keep telling yourself you aren't creative, and you'll convince yourself it's a fact. Not only do we live up to the expectations of others, but we also live up to those we have for ourselves. So, stop it right this minute! :evil:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote