Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:07 AM   #1

Default DOF: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

Here, the curl of the leaf is front and center and sharp as can be. My middle shot, where this stem was in the center of interest, turned out not much different than this one.

I think I like this better - the leaves in back are clear and strong with a nice fuzzy frame of green around them.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:42 AM   #2

I like the first one better. That glob of green in the center of the second one hurts my eyes!

If we all saw things the same way wouldn't it be a boring world?
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:45 AM   #3

Yes, Puck! I like the second for the colors and I also like things complicated (most of the time). I am extremely creative with a high metabolism that I tend to wear others out. But I am usually not really good with "simple."
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:40 PM   #4

I agree with Puck, though it has nothing to do with DOF. In this case, the composition of the first photo is far better. Look at the second one with fresh eyes--you'll see that the heaviest weight is right there at the top, and it looks as if it's being hauled up out of the picture. The first photo is divided nicely by two S-curves that roll in counterpoint to each other.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:42 PM   #5

You guys are definately right- the first does have way better composition. But for some reason, I am still more attracted to the second. :?:
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:59 PM   #6

I do prefer the first shot, for obvious composition reasons, even though, as usual , I would have not cropped the leaves.

Actually the second one is attracting more since it is containing two complementary colors, green and red.

monkey143, are you living near Scarborough ? :lol:
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 5:16 PM   #7

i'm not a fan of the bg......but i do like the comp of the first one.. nice idea
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:55 PM   #8

brtsergio - it's an acre of land between the salt water and the sea strands
Old Apr 9, 2004, 7:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey143
brtsergio - it's an acre of land between the salt water and the sea strands
monkey143, you are lucky ! I have to drive my car for 3 miles before reaching the supermarket to buy some parsley :lol:

Well, honestly, thanx for letting me aware of the exact location of Scarborough Fair, I didn't really know where it was before your reply.
http://www.geocities.com/paris/villa/3895/
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 8:44 AM   #10

LOL - bts, I hope you know I am quoting the song; that's really NOT where I live - it's more like "two acres of land between the elk ranch in the mountains." I do like my little herb pot, tho. I, too, have to drive 3 miles to get to the grocery store but the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme is dried and in bottles and I've recently discovered the joys of cooking. DH and I have decided this year to plant a huge garden, about 20 more fruit trees, and we're considering raising chickens (he's been reading lots of stuff by the Nearings and I'm as frugal as can be). I'd be happy to send you some parsley when I cultivate it and dry it - PM me with your addy. The basil is neat - you can actually smell it (without needing to unscrew a cap)