Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:11 PM   #1

Default DOF: The Case of the Floating Pen

This is a combination of a personal challenge (in-camera illusion) and the DOF challenge. It's a 70-year-old Waterman fountain pen, and believe me, I'm not about to drop it from some high place onto the floor.

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 5:27 PM   #2

ok.....this is just mean....teasing me with something like this.....i am a person that HAS to know how stuff works.....
PLEEEEEEEEEEASE tell me how you do this!!! is it photoshop?!
lol

btw....nice pen
good DOF
nice pic
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:14 PM   #3

No Photoshop required. And I won't leave you hanging, which is what I did to the poor pen. I tied nylon filament to its clip, then tied the other end to a stick that I'd clamped to the still partially built stand that's going to be a rendition of the one Dale has in his studio. I've only gotten this far:

My husband will probably be building the rest of it for me tomorrow--pipe that clamps vertically to the base, then another pipe that will shoot out horizontally from the top of the one that's upright. He'll be putting holes in the horizontal pipe so I can suspend things more easily. He seems to have other notions, too, having to do with adjustability.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:17 PM   #4

niiice

how is the board connected to the tripod? or just balanced?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:24 PM   #5

We took a piece of heavy aluminum, drilled a hole in it, then bolted it from the top down into the head of the tripod where there had been a bolt for holding on a camera. We had to remove the tripod's bolt because it was going in the wrong direction.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:59 PM   #6

Wow - that's really neat. And that pen sure it something. No note is more personal than one written with a fountain pen! Nice pool table, too! Your illusion is fantastic - I really would have guessed a nice little Photoshop trick if you hadn't said "in-camera." Very nice, sharp pen.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:54 AM   #7

It's a very special pen, even beyond its extrinsic value (maybe around $200). It belonged to an uncle who, many years ago, dreamed of being a playwright. He died at the age of 25, his dream almost completely unrealized.

From the time I was a little girl, I loved that pen, and because of it, I learned to love all fountain pens. I've a bit of a collection, most of it found at garage sales, a few pens were gifts from my husband, a few I bought myself. All but the eldest of the statesmen are periodically put into service. I love both the feel and the sound of them.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:06 AM   #8

Me, too, Barb! That is a tragic but interesting story about your uncle. I'm sorry he never got to realize his dream. With that pen, given time, I'm sure he would have.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:55 AM   #9

wonderful story. And I love the imaage that you used it for. Do you write with it?
gmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 12:02 PM   #10

I thought someone dropped the pen through your waiting fingers and with your cat like reflexes you snapped the shot with one hand while grabbing the pen with the other before it completely passed through.

Now you tell me it was a trick shot. Don't you dare tell me there is no Easter Bunny!
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote