Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:20 AM   #1

Default Dof:Flower

Auto Focus set to left target...
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2004, 11:52 AM   #2

Very nice shot using a sandwich of blur. The blue signature is a nice touch too.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 1:02 PM   #3

Ah, Dale, but you're a master of the technique!

(I'm surprised you didn't torture me with yet another kitty portrait.)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 1:06 PM   #4

lol that is good......

btw......i can'tmanage to get such a distinct DOF.....like where the bg is VERY out of focus......is it because i'mnot using a 300mm (or longer) macro lens? ...cuz i'm using a f2.2 arperture......
just wondering...

nice shot yet again dale
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 1:52 PM   #5

I'm not at all familiar with your camera, Vito, but with a 2.2 aperture, you really should be able to do it. Are you perhaps getting too close to your subject, thus getting too much of it in the area of sharpest focus?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:46 PM   #6

i don't know....it is a G2.....3x optical and 3.6x digital zoom....11x alltogether....should i shoot at full zoom? that would throw the background out of focus more......does that sound right?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:56 PM   #7

Don't use the digital zoom, and from what I hear about it, you shouldn't use it ever because it does the same thing as cropping and upsizing in Photoshop.

Try this: set up three items in a diagonal line going away from you rather the way Rick did with his strange little cooking balls. Make sure you have space between each of the objects so a shallow depth of field will be more obvious. Open the aperture as far as it will go, zoom in (optically) to pretty much fill the frame with your objects, then take three test shots, focusing on first one, then another, and then the third item. If you end up not seeing the effect of a shallow depth of field, try three more shots, this time adding more space between the objects.

Another method of doing this is to photograph a yardstick where the 1-inch mark is closest to you and the 36-inch mark is farthest away. Focus on the 1-inch mark, then the 12-inch mark, the 24-inch mark, and even the 36-inch mark if you're so inclined. Just thinking about this exercise should give you a notion of how far apart you might want to place your objects in the suggestion above.

If it doesn't work, post it anyway, telling us what your settings were.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
i don't know....it is a G2.....3x optical and 3.6x digital zoom....11x alltogether....should i shoot at full zoom? that would throw the background out of focus more......does that sound right?
Don't shoot at digital zoom, Vito. That has the same effect as shooting at your max optical zoom and then enlarging the photo in processing. Digital zoom degrades your image. It's good in a pinch, but I would avoid using it if I were you.

It really depends on what you're trying to photograph. In my photo of the golf ball and pin, I used f/2.8 at 75mm. I also did several at 28mm with similar effects. It's the aperture, focus distance, and focal length all working together. Experiment with it. That's the whole purpose of these challenges.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 3:06 PM   #9

i think we should continue this challenge next week too....Easter is keeping me from working on it as much as i would like.....
Old Apr 10, 2004, 3:19 PM   #10

Vito, there's no law that says you can't continue working with this challenge after a new one goes up. An understanding of depth of field and how to get it will stay with you and be there for you when you see a picture that could benefit from it. I'm sure everyone here agrees with me that you should stick with this problem until you've got it solved, which I bet won't be all that long anyway.