Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 10, 2004, 8:12 PM   #1

Default DOF: Easter Offering

Since my dad is nearing retirement and worried that he will get bored, he's found himself in the kitchen lately. So now, each holiday in the last year, he and my sister and I have a "bake-off" of some kind. We're judged on presentation and taste. Tomorrow's competition is bread - anything goes. Since I sacrificed yeast this Lent (represents sin), I am really looking forward to tasting the entries! This is my Easter three-strand loaf, unrisen. It will be fully risen in the morning. I'll bake it before early service and warm it when I get to Pittsburgh, right before judging. The pictures aren't that good, but the fun sure is.

If you look really, really hard, you can see that little dot that's in my other submission.

PS - see, I learned to do a simple watermark in PE2 already!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2004, 8:32 PM   #2

Betsy if you want to add a copyright just hold alt. and type 0169
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 11:04 PM   #3

mmm...looks good

how is it rising without yeast? (i'm kitchen stupid lol)

cool shots
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 6:21 AM   #4

DX, wow - thanks! I appreciate that. I know very little about PE2 so far...

Vito, it does have yeast - I just couldn't eat it until today! By the way, it fell somewhat - not sure how it will turn out when I finish browning it in my mom's oven.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:43 AM   #5

Second picture gets my vote, but I really do wish I could get to vote in the actual bake-off. It would necessitate much eating of homemade bread, of course.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 6:08 PM   #6

Default Bread - a Symbol of Peace

Monkey143:

I like the second image, wherein the foregroud is in focus and the background is out of focus - good use of DOF to make the image.

I have seen this technique in food magazines and it works well, as is the case here.

Nice looking bread and good photography. Base on your words, I suspect you have a good relationship with your father - cool.

Enjoy,

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 7:13 PM   #7

Yep, I can almost smell the yeast. Maybe you'll have time when it comes out of the oven for another photo, and you can share that just-baked bread smell, too!

Hey, it works! Thanks for the tip, DX.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 6:53 AM   #8

My dad won - he did an excellent Italian bread. I tried to bake mine to the browning point, then finish in their oven so I'd get that "fresh" edge. The middle was like playdoh and the outsides were perfect (like crescent rolls - sweet and buttery and pull-apart). My sister brought unleavened bread that was pretty good but my dad's really was excellent. My mom doesn't care who wins; one less dish she has to prepare when she hosts the holiday!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 9:10 AM   #9

Default Baking Bread

Monkey143:

I bake my sourdough bread in a steam filled oven at 450 F for 25 to 30 minutes. The steam makes the crust hard and golden brown. Next time you bake bread, place a pan of water in the oven before turning ON the oven. Leave the pan in the oven while baking.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:08 AM   #10

Photography tips and ones for breakmaking too. I love it! Will do the pan of water trick next time I bake French bread, which should have an outside crunch that I've never been able to achieve.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote