Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 10, 2004, 8:16 PM   #1

Default Broken camera?

It was noted in my other thread that there may be a glitch on my CCD or lens. I cleaned all lenses and shot two pics of a white wall with two different lenses - booger is still there. I blew these up (no touchups) and am posting them. When I went back through all my photos, knowing where to look, if I squint really hard, I can see it. Prints from Eckerd turn out excellent and absolutely no blemishes.

The Parsley submission was tweaked using MGI's software and I just clicked on "enhance" and the blemish was also enhanced, unfortunately. Since I am switching to PE2, I am wondering about opinions on whether this is worth packing the camera up and shipping it cross country and back to have it (hopefully) fixed and (also hopefully) nothing else breaking on its trek. Opinions, please?

monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2004, 8:29 PM   #2

Definately send it back, but contact Pentax and see if there is an authorized repair center near you. This could save you some time. BTW I just ordered a Digital Rebel.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 8:30 PM   #3

Read this: http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

An option.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:37 PM   #4

Looks like a dust speck on the CCD. A few weeks after I got my DSLR last summer I used a clean ear syringe to blast mine clean, following the manual's instructions for keeping the mirror up using the AC adaptor. I don't know what kind of camera you have, monk. If it's not a DSLR it would need to go to a repair center for cleaning.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:42 PM   #5

that is a pretty intrequite(how the heck do you spell that?! lol )
dust speck!!.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:12 AM   #6

Well, they're kinda like snowflakes - you know, take on all kinds of interesting shapes under high magnification.
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 6:23 AM   #7

Thanks for the help, guys! I will try cleaning it myself (it is a digital SLR and I can leave the mirror up) and then take it from there using all the good input I've received. DH says, "it's a shame you spent all that money, it should be made right." Sounds like you guys agree.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:39 AM   #8

I have cleaned my CCD many times using the link ohenry supplied...It is not as hard as it looks...Ac adapter a must to lock up the mirror...Good luck
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:30 AM   #9

I did it! What a great day! Thanks for the help. I didn't go to the link, since it's kinda hectic on Easter - but I did it manually and will check the link out some other time. What a relief!
Old Apr 11, 2004, 7:46 PM   #10

Wow, that's some serious defect! I don't know if I would want a big star in all of my shots either!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote