Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 12, 2004, 4:48 PM   #1

Default DOF - Wine & Roses

The image was illuminated by natural light streaming in a window just before sunset. My intent was to first focus on the wine glasses, take one image in the hopes the flowers would be out of focus then focus on the vases and take the second image to place the wine glasses out of focus. F-stop was set a 2.3. There was no difference between the two images other than the background in one image was not as blurred as in this image. The image was setup in front of the window on a small table. The "table cloth" is canvas. Although the wine glasses have an irridescent tint in them, the image also shows some purple fringing in the glasses. The only post-processing was a slight "S" shape applied to the gamma curve.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 5:22 PM   #2

What a great idea and effort. I like it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 5:44 PM   #3

Your intent may have been to do something else, but the thing that you did is excellent.

I am, however, miffed that you couldn't get what you envisioned. It sure looks as if you've enough space from front to back to get what you wanted. Maybe it's not a problem with f-stops. How close were you to the setup? I find that, the closer I am to the objects, the better defined the depth of field is. Or maybe that's just a peculiarity of my camera. Oh, and the closer I zoom into the objects, the narrower the depth of field.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 6:29 PM   #4

Default Distance

I estimate the camera was within 3 to 4 ft. of the subject and the distance separating the foremost wine glass from the vases was perhaps 8". The camera I use allows one to move the "focus point" in the view finder without moving the camera. The lens was zoomed somewhat toward the telephoto side. Digital DOF is different than 35 mm DOF. Apparent DOF is related to "film" size. The smaller the sensor the greater the DOF for any given f-stop.

I need to experiment some more.

Thanks for the kind words about the image.

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 1:08 AM   #5

Rod that's not purple fringing in the wine glasses it's wine reflection. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. An exceptionally beautiful picture.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 6:54 AM   #6

This is gorgeous! I love the irridescence in the glasses. Excellent composition and dreamlike colors. And if that's a Merlot or Sauvignon, even better!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 1:42 PM   #7

Classy, Rod...

Classy in the sense of Camelot, JFK and Jackie.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote